Lanes/Targa Rallies

Mark_S

RMS Member
Drives
330ci
Hi Guys!! Any info on the BADMC lane rally in march? I see bishopcourt is on the same day. Will the lane rally be happening?

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Guys when is the first event of the year? Entry out yet? New to the sport, just bought a car for it yesterday

DavyC

RMS Regular
Welcome along. The first event will be Dungannon Motor Club's 'Springfling Rally'. We've done it twice and it's a great event. Regulations and entry forms normally appear round a month or so before. Keep an eye out on ANICC website for them becoming available...
Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs

If you're on Facebook then most clubs will have their own page with regular updates on the lead up to thier events. The 'tests, lanes and trials' and 'stopastride' pages are good for updates on targas and other types of events too.

So!.. the big question is.. What have you bought? Anymore more questions, fire away.

OZ10

RMS Regular
So!.. the big question is.. What have you bought? Anymore more questions, fire away.

Hopefully not another mx5... ^o)
Hopefully I'll get out for one or two this year myself. Miss it but hard to find the money these days

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Know the feeling @earney I was hoping to get over the odd weekend a do a few but the mazda is fairly knackered so going to rebuild it (again), by the time thats ready I may be able to afford 1 event. The rest of the fleet is either off the road or not eligible ffs!

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
I'm raring to get going again. Car failed MOT this evening for not having 'Dual Marked Speedo',which is a bit annoying but ready to go otherwise. Will hopefully get that sorted tomorrow and plans are to get the hardtop painted over Easter and that will be us ready to rally.

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Thanks guys! Yes mk1 mx5 ;)
It has a TR lane cage, torisen diff, 1.8 model etc so should fit the bill nicely

I have a question on hydraulic handbrake, can anyone recommend a good one? Had a look on eBay and they are so cheap that it worries me :grinning:
Also, what else do I need? I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, I just cannot find it

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Sumpguard, though the mx5 sump isn't overly exposed better to be safe than sorry.

Re hydro handbrake, technically they should be on the original pivot according to the bluebook from memory, though this doesn't seem to be overly enforced, just something to bear in mind. Compbrake handbrakes are a nice bit of kit, saying that some of the cheapo ones on ebay are identical to ones being sold for more elsewhere, but I would go compbrake, on my mx5 we made our own going from the original pivot. With 1.8 brakes you should be ok with a .625 master cylinder for it too.

OZ10

RMS Regular
John OKane seems to be the person to speak to when it comes to mx5 mods. Near sure he's on here not sure on the username tho

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Thanks guys, good advice. Can anyone point me towards the rulebook?

OZ10

RMS Regular
Rulebook is a minefield. Best to ask the guys who do the event imo. You can also ask in tests lanes and trials Facebook page but you will get about 50 different answers from know it alls

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
One other question. Where does everyone practice? (Legally ;) )

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Drive home from work :p

Best thing you could do to get a feel for the car etc would be do a few autotests, multivenue autotests etc. Gets plenty of practice on the handbrake etc and doesnt cost a fortune/your license!

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Does anyone know anything about this 'letter' that the ANICC has sent around to the motorclubs? Apparently banning unsealed surfaces and hydraulic handbrakes all together and slowing them way down? Not liking the sound of it. Surely they just cant change the MSA regulations to suit themselves?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Surely the bluebook doesnt actaully allow upright, separate handbrakes anyway. Hasnt for quite some time since the whole targa regs were brought in a few years back. From that point of view they arent changing the msa regs to suit themselves.

Banning unsealed surfaces sounds a bit daft though.

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Well from what I was told, all hydraulic handbrakes where being banned, upright or not. Can't guarantee if thats right or not though

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
In that case they are probably going to arse about with msa regs. Banning unsealed surfaces will likely make it more difficult to slow down.

Victim of its own success most likely.. Ill not comment any further until I hear whats been sent ou!

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Might be ok, hopefully this is all just talk and doesn't progress any further than talk

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
A lot of people went off on the boxing day event which might have set some people thinking if theres ways to slow things down. it was very slippy though and in terms of finishers there were 122 out of 140 i believe so not that bad.
Probably some proposals for discussion at this point though, not neccesarily going to happen.

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Do any of yous know anyone who makes sump guard to fit an mx5? Just a bolt on job. A friend of mine is after one and is trying to find someone who makes one to fit rather than getting someone to make one and having to do a bit of trial and error.