Lotus Princess Updates - Autolifers Feature post 386

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
[Continuing from here: http://www.reallymeansounds.com/for...princess-update-post-99-outdoor-carcoon.html] ]

After we lost Ian Bishop, it has got hard to get a proper set-up. Those who are able to are either too busy, or in the sticks, or both.

So I decided to have a go myself. After all, how hard could it be :p

If anyone has done this before, please have a look through this description and tell me what I missed or got wrong :-#

As a first step I have spent half of Friday, and all Saturday, adjusting ride height. Needed to get the back lower, and it was a good time to get the whole thing balanced up again as well.

It involves a lot of raise car, wheel off, twiddle height, wheel on, lower car, measure, repeat. Proper workout!

1. Load up driver's seat with a turnip simulator

Technically it should have been done at half tank, but
it happened to be full. Tank is pretty much in the centre,
so the extra weight matters more for toe than ride height/
corner weights.

2. Calculate the nominal distribution:
Weight: 755kg
Distribution: 40/60 front/rear
Driver weight: 90kg

Hence:
Total weight: 845kg
Front left: (755/2)*0.4=151 => 45% right/left
Front right: (755/2 + 90)*0.4 = 187 => 55% right/left
Rear left: (755/2)*0.6=226.5 => 45% right/left
Rear right: (755/2 +90)*0.6 = 280.5 => 55% right/left

3. Measure current:

Ride height:
Front right: 105mm
Front left: 110mm
Rear right: 130mm
Rear left: 125 mm

4. Goal:

Front: 105-110, rear: 115/120 (front+10)

5. Adjust ride heights, and get roughly even side to side

6. Measure corner weights, and fine tune ride height to
get to nominal distribution front/back and side/side

7. Final readings:

Ride height:
Front: 109mm
Rear: 118 mm

Would have liked it a little bit lower, but that would
have left the springs loose at the rear at full droop
(about 1/2" at 110-115 rear height). Lotus wisdom seems to
suggest this would still be ok in practice, but technically
an MOT failure. Though I have never seen the wheels off
the ground at an MOT.

Anyway, left the rear ride height where the springs are still held
at full droop for now. Checking with Nitron if helper springs are
needed to go lower.

Final distribution:
43/57 front/rear
46/54 left/right

7. Have a strong cup of tea and a lie-down, phew
Next: Toe and Camber...

The turnip simulator - a few bags of sand. About the same IQ :innocent:
P1000406.JPG

Corner weight gauge. Theory is you take a reading when you can just slip a card under the wheel. Reading in this one happens to be PSI/Bar, but unit does not matter as one is adjusting against relative percentages, not the absolute readings.
P1000415.JPG

Absolutely invaluable tool! Found it by pure chance the other day. No chance in hell of fitting a c-spanner in here :-#

Oddly, there is no lockring on the Nitrons. Apparently as it should be. In fairness, they have never moved in the two years they have been on the car now.
P1000420.JPG

Measuring front ride height off the front edge of the side chassis rail, inside the front wheel arch.
P1000423.JPG

Measuring rear ride height. Bleedin' undertrays have to come off as ever to get at the rear edge of the side chassis rail.
P1000426.JPG

pablo

RMS Moderator
This brings back memories lol total pain in the hole!

Did you get the adjustable rear toelinks?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Fair play! You could have just went to Ali Burrows tho, he doesn't charge an arm and both legs either.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Cheers :grinning:

@Pablo: Full EP uniball kit (y)

@Hutchy: Just stop by some time if you want to have a go. Really need adjustable suspension though.

Took her for a shakedown on my private test track (Purdisburn road :p) last night, and then a final cornerweight check this morning. Final weights after one last adjustment:

Front Left: 27 | Right: 30
Rear Left: 36 | Right: 39

Bang on cross-weights, which is the important one - not bad for a Turnip :grinning: - with side to side and front to back within 1-2% of nominal.

Next up was camber. Measured -1.5/-1.0 at the front, and -2.8/-2.3 at the back. Rear camber is fine, but front is too much. Adjusting means inserting shims between the steering arm and the hub, but the bolt holding the arm to the hub is fused solid :-# The arms need replacing anyway, lord knows how to get the old ones off. A job for Jonny methinks, beyond a Turnip.

Finally toe check. A rod front and one back, mounted at roughly hub centre height; wholes drilled the same distance from the centre on either side, and then nylon cord along the side of the car. Measure distance from hub centre to cord, and adjust the rods sideways until the distance either side is the same, front and back respectively. Mounting the rods in a bit of pipe insulation makes things easier.

Voila: a parallel reference either side of the car. It is all on the car, so you can roll it backwards and forwards to make sure the wheels are pointing ahead, before locking the steering wheel.

Turned out they are dead straight front and back. This is ok. Ideally a little toe-in at the back would be nice, but could not be bothered adjusting with them so good already.

Lotus specifies toe in tenths of millimetres, lol, believe it or not. Adjusting is really sensitive, a quarter turn is about a millimetre of toe. Just locking the locknut can add about a millimetre. So only really worth it if it is really out.

Steering wheel lock.
P1000429

Calibrating the camber gauge:
P1000436

Stands, Lotus style :grinning: Most people use old phone books :grinning:
P1000438

Fused front steering arm/camber adjustment. The round bit on the left was a bolt once upon a time...
P1000444

String alignment rig.
P1000451

P1000455

"Dream Stick" - a ruler would have done, but where is the fun in that :p
P1000471

P1000477

Reactions: tim

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is worth it if how it drives matters. If it is just about looks, then setting toe at the local tyre centre is enough.

But yes, most definitely anal :p Full on CDO required :innocent:

Reactions: tim

Cro

RMS Regular
Lol bloody good work there sven, especially for a diy number. Definately makes me think of clarksons nasal voice when reading it :grinning:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Milk run 2011

Last weekend I finally got out on the first proper milk run this year. A run up the coast on Friday, Saturday across the Sperrins to Malin Head on Innishowen, and then a nice trackday on Sunday to top it off. Jolly nice :grinning:

Have been having trouble with air getting into the clutch hydraulics. Got new cylinders installed the other day. Works better now, but still not perfect. Next stop will be looking over engine bay heat management, and failing that the hose will have to be looked at. But the hose is buried deep in the structures and a complete nightmare to replace, so hoping it will not come to that.

Finally, treated my little Princess to some shiny new ally wiper/indicator stalks and handbrake handle, instead of the horrid plastic Corsa items Lotus used :grinning:

Enjoy.

P1000627.JPG

P1000628.JPG

P1000638.JPG

P1000646.JPG

P1000654.JPG

P1000667.JPG

P1000685.JPG

P1000686.JPG

P1000689.JPG

P1000697.JPG

P1000698.JPG

P1000701.JPG

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Very nice, haven't seen those stalks before just the brushed/polished versions, those are much nicer and less like something from Ann summers!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The polished ally bits are a bit too over the top for me too hutchy. Only black or yellow on this car.

EP do both versions, either black or polished. Have a nice black ally gear nob too, and the short shifter stick. And the Momo wheel is lightyears from the standard wheel.

Small details making a big difference.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Yeh they definitely do look the part. The standard stalks are hideous cavalier specials!
Forgive me but what is the standard wheel like? Standard in the Vx is the momo.
Had my own out today, very very hard to beat on days like today!

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Lovely little car, so jealous of the fun you have in it. I would love to have one tucked in my garage for sunny weekends and track days!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
If your looking for setup and willing to book kirk for a half days testing I have a man in the know.. He will sort out any problems and make the at perform.. Totally transformed my car.. Drop me a pm

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
A good set-up makes all the difference B-Lorenzo, no doubt about that (y)

Some pictures from Friday, in Rowallane gardens. Continued from there round the Mournes, including a number of runs up and down the Spelga hillclimb, to the great amusement of the walkers, lol :grinning:

In t-shirt and sunglasses, life does not get any better! :cool:

DSC_2787.JPG

DSC_2801.JPG

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
In front of the neighbours, in broad daylight - the shame and indignity :oops:

Clutch problems, awaiting the verdict.

P1000821.JPG

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
oohh never seen your set up update (y)

Awesome, man after my own heart. Fancy doing the mini lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Sorry to hear this Sven, hope its not dear

May i ask who the recovery lads were they look familiar

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.