Lotus Princess Updates - Autolifers Feature post 386

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
No idea who the recovery boys are, lol. Got a number from AI, called, they showed up, handed them money and the car, they left, lol :grinning:

Something with the hydraulics.

Could "just" be that the new cylinders were not installed correctly, or maybe something else. Have a new hose, with better couplings, but it is a nightmare to change so really hope it is not that.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Gear box in bits on the garage floor, clutch release mechanism seized solid :sob: Jonny is soooo pleased, cough, barely speaking to me :innocent:

Bits on the way, including a new release arm with a totally revolutionary upgrade - a grease nipple allowing routine lubrication of the release mechanism, preventing this failure in the future :-# Modern technology, cutting edge!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just got the car back today. Took the long road back to Belfast, via Cushendall and down the coast, over Cairncastle, etc. Glorious!

This is the thing with these cars, just one good drive and everything is forgotten, all is forgiven :grinning:

Kirkistown Sunday, Mondello and Galway next weekend.

The highly modified release lever - now with a grease nipple to allow servicing of the release mechanism. Amazing what they can come up with these days, awesome tech! :p

P1000836.JPG

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
New roof

Another huge upgrade :grinning: Finally gave up and decided to ditch the old roof for a shiny new EP one. It also has some really high-tech modifications.

Old roof: Water gets in through the gap in the front corner, and slowly fills up the cabin.
P1000838.JPG

New roof, modification number 1: This little tab means the roof does not constantly pop off along the windscreen at motorway speeds :-#
P1000840.JPG

New roof, modification number 2: Run-off channel, plus a flap, to stop water running in through the side window. Also reduces the inevitable waterfall into the cabin if you open the door or window while it rains, or when the roof is wet.
P1000842.JPG

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Looking good Sven, hope to see it at a shoot sometime

I got talking to the fella who recovered the lotus, it was who i thought it was
Hopefully you wont need it again but heres his number

AB Autos on 028 92650145 or 07912988242.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Out for a drive.

Went out for a drive this weekend.

Mondello on Friday; Galway/Connemara Saturday; North Mayo, Donegal, and back to Belfast on Sunday, via Gortin Glen and Glen Veigh.

Just one little "incident", with the car deciding to shut down completely in Louisburgh. As if the battery had been removed, stone dead. Called in the AA. When they arrived, I lifted the water bottle to access the battery, and lo and behold everything came back on again by itself. Complete magic.

All working perfectly since, except the rear lights, so something odd is going on. Ah well, never a dull moment :p

The yellow spotless leopard, hiding in the paddock, poised and ready to pounce.
P1000868.JPG

Arran Islands and Claire, Galway strands.
DSC2965.JPG

Lough Nafooey, Connemara.
DSC2980.JPG

Lough Mask, Connemara.
DSC2995.JPG

Maumturk Mountains in the clouds, Connemara.
DSC2997.JPG

Doo Lough, Connemara.
DSC3004.JPG

Doo Lough, Connemara.
DSC3020.JPG

Doo Lough, Connemara.
DSC3023.JPG

Doo Lough, Connemara.
DSC3024.JPG

Westport Quays, Mayo.
P1000873.JPG

Westport, and Croagh Patrick in the distance.
P1000881.JPG

Minnaun, north Mayo.
P1000889.JPG

Mullaghmore Head, Sligo.
P1000898.JPG

Mullaghmore Head, Sligo.
P1000902.JPG

Who is a dirty girl then? Took hours to clean this mess :-# Nice and shiny again though, and all tucked in.
P1000918.JPG

P1000920.JPG

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Looking great Sven! Connemara has some roads that have to be seen to be believed! Like how you have one in exactly the same spot as mine!
No chance you went over a bump and momentarily knocked the terminal loose?

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Some drive mate, your a proper enthusiast which aways impresses me how you treat her and how you enjoy her!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Thinking of buying an S2, any advice? Is the K series reliable?

pablo

RMS Moderator
only reason Id buy an S2 over an S1 is if it has the toyota engine. The K series is dead on, just needs more power.

A VX220 turbo is hard to look past at the moment. very good value.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
You know how long lotus clung on to the k series pabs? I think
It was 05 or 06 before the 111s or Elise s started going all Toyota. I've always liked the look of the s2, it was the car I was after before I got my original Vx, but it's a little known fact the majority of s2s were still k series. S2 is a good 100kg heavier than the s1 and really needs more than 120bhp IMO, s1 gets away with it due to it's true lightness!
See here, an 04 still Rover
http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2133931

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Thinking of buying an S2, any advice? Is the K series reliable?

The Rover engine is the one thing which has never given me any bother what so ever. Pretty much everything is else is either replaced, repaired, or refurbished. Sometimes more than once. Just look through the past threads to get an idea...

But, whatever breaks, and however difficult to fix, as soon as you get a drive again all is forgotten :laughing:

As Paul said, a bit more power would be nice. Nothing mega, 160-180 would be more than enough. As long as it is done right.

My engine is still exactly as it left the factory, 118bhp, original head gasket and all, and not exactly boring. Can still show up most in the twisty bits, gets left behind on the straights, but claws back a lot again on the brakes. You just have to learn to drive better instead :grinning:

The main reason to buy an S2 is because it will be fresher. S1 are getting on in years/miles, and you will have to look long and hard to find a good one. An S1 would make a fantastic project though.

For driving, I personally prefer the S1 (I would, lol :p), but the S2 is not exactly boring. The S1 is a spot on light weight uncomplicated sports car. S2 tries too hard to be a "proper" car, with trim and aircon and whatnot, but still does not quite get there.

Drop me a PM if you get serious about either, I can give you a list of what to look out for.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Much prefer the look of the S2's (sorry :p), plus much fresher throughout in most cases. Budget would be circa £10k but I'm basing my desire purely upon pictures, would need a drive to make my mind up, could hate the lack of power! What sort of power can be got from the K series? The Toyota engined ones are only in the very latest models and are well above what I would pay for an Elise. Also much prefer the Elise over a VX, they don't compare looks wise imo although the turbo would be nice to have.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Go have a drive gee, I had a notion for one about 5yrs ago, but went for a run and couldn't believe how small the cabin was... Constantly banging elbows with the sales man and I felt like I was going to reach for his knee every time I went for a gear!

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
One of the best threads on RMS, everytime you put pictures up it just makes me want an Elise.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Cheers Gary :grinning:

Much prefer the look of the S2's (sorry :p), plus much fresher throughout in most cases. Budget would be circa £10k but I'm basing my desire purely upon pictures, would need a drive to make my mind up, could hate the lack of power! What sort of power can be got from the K series? The Toyota engined ones are only in the very latest models and are well above what I would pay for an Elise. Also much prefer the Elise over a VX, they don't compare looks wise imo although the turbo would be nice to have.

Stop by if you want and I will take you out on my personal test track (Purdisburn Road :p). See for yourself.

Agree the S2 is generally fresher, hard to find a good S1 these days.

Standard S1 is 118 bhp in 770kg, with various variants up to around 160bhp. At least two different gearbox options, with a "standard" and a close range. The close range box makes a big difference, but fetches a good price these days if it is the "proper" Lotus CR box.

S2 similar variants, just a little more in the "lowest" tune, but it weighs nearly 900kg. And that is a big difference.

The S1 Exige (totally awesome car if you can find one!) had 190bhp, and a full Quaiffe gearbox and LSD.

I have the 118bhp engine, Lotus CR box, and a Quaiffe LSD.

Around £2k will take a standard engine to a safe ~160bhp. Plenty in a light S1. Another £2k or so will add a balanced and strengthened bottom end, which will easily see ~190 with perfectly nice road manners. With race cams 200+.

For £10k or so you can stick a Honda K20 in the back. Around 220 out of the box, but also ~100kg heavier. It is the engine these cars were made for to be honest, but at the cost, well. And then insurance would be nigh on impossible over here.

A light Lotus is all about controls - steering, throttle, brakes. You want a nice linear power. Not convinced about Turbo in these cars to be honest.

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
For £10k or so you can stick a Honda K20 in the back. Around 220 out of the box, but also ~100kg heavier. It is the engine these cars were made for to be honest, but at the cost, well. And then insurance would be nigh on impossible over here.

I hope thats including the cost of the car :p

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Stop by if you want and I will take you out on my personal test track (Purdisburn Road :p). See for yourself.

Agree the S2 is generally fresher, hard to find a good S1 these days.

Standard S1 is 118 bhp in 770kg, with various variants up to around 160bhp. At least two different gearbox options, with a "standard" and a close range. The close range box makes a big difference, but fetches a good price these days if it is the "proper" Lotus CR box.

S2 similar variants, just a little more in the "lowest" tune, but it weighs nearly 900kg. And that is a big difference.

The S1 Exige (totally awesome car if you can find one!) had 190bhp, and a full Quaiffe gearbox and LSD.

I have the 118bhp engine, Lotus CR box, and a Quaiffe LSD.

Around £2k will take a standard engine to a safe ~160bhp. Plenty in a light S1. Another £2k or so will add a balanced and strengthened bottom end, which will easily see ~190 with perfectly nice road manners. With race cams 200+.

A light Lotus is all about controls - steering, throttle, brakes. You want a nice linear power. Not convinced about Turbo in these cars to be honest.

I'd be looking at a 111S, 160bhp, might up the budget and get an 04 ish model. They seem to hold their money very well after the initial new car depreciation drop. What's the best forums to look on for cars for sale and advice?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
As Pablo says, Seloc has all you need. Or drop a PM. Plenty to look out for.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Saw this car on Saturday, thepictures do the colour no justice, much nicer in the flesh!
Just floats through bends as well!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.