My First Ford

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Minor update!

First car that I've not been clambering over myself to tune or modify visually, but never the less I have tinkered a bit!

First thing was to install Bluetooth with streaming and USB. Connected up the module and cables, coded it in, and installed the phone holder/USB port.

uploadfromtaptalk1405502316460.jpg

Next thing that needed sorted was that the nav button had a scratch on it, so replaced it.

Then onto the leather/alcantara seats. The bolsters were a little scuffed so used my scuffmaster kit to sort them. No pics unfortunately, but looks better. Same goes for the autofold mirrors, but I'm sure you can use your imagination on that. Mirrors usually fold by pressing a button while the ignition is still on or engine running, but some clever Russians wrote a new door and window module program that can be uploaded that folds them on a door lock also (although not with the antihijack speed lock - that'd be keek)

Next is to get her properly detailed once this slightly ropey weather is past.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405502428628.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405502428628.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 230
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405502569341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405502569341.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 228
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405502608969.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405502608969.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 237

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
nicve work with the powerfolding mirrors mod (y)

you've got serious OCD changing that Nav button, must have been bugging the life out of ya LOL!

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Lol, it was a bit! :laughing:

With buying a new house I'm not sure if I'll have the wagon more than a year before I need to redirect funds into boring things like kitchens etc, so want to keep this minty-mint in case.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Only option the RS didn't come with was the USB and Bluetooth so wasn't going to be happy until it was retrofitted! Bluetooth /USB module bought and fitted, just the usb and microphone/audio patch cables to get. The key ingredient arrived today ...

View attachment 61261

So I'll be able to enable the module in the cars ECU. The cable is modified to allow access to special ford modules so can enable a lot of extras if any ford lads need something switched on/off!

Will it allow you to turn on the auto door locking ?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Think so, assuming ford had fitted the same door control to each Focus.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Yeah, it's a very fun car - initially I had to get over 'BMW to Ford Focus' thoughts, but after driving it more and just the look of the thing, its more than the sum of the parts. There's a Chris Harris vid were he keeps going on about 'The sheer excitement of this package' and that's a good description of what you feel.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Think I was behind you earlier in the town, looks great, they have such a massive presence on the road.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
More 'upgrades' today...

Decided to replace the 2009 power button bezel with the new 2010 one...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405691847919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405691847919.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 218
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405691885872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405691885872.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 207
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405691968118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405691968118.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 194
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405691989201.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405691989201.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 202

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Next up is to cover the hole that ford left in the driver footwell trim to access the fuel cut-off reset. What were Ford thinking, it just looks so ... unfinished!
Got a cap from a ford Ka to cover it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405692226151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405692226151.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 231
  • uploadfromtaptalk1405692243482.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405692243482.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 212

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
your rs is coming on well nigelo,your doing well fighting the tuning temptation.have to get myself one of those fuel cutoff caps for mine,allways bugged me the hole thats left which looks so unfinished

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
I'll dig out the part number - it just needs sliced at the back as its slightly too big to clip in otherwise.

Finis code: 1127708

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
thanks nigelo! one mod i would say is well worth spending 100 quid on is a elevate torque mount.honestly no extra vibration but really helps to put the power down better and only 10 mins to fit with a ramp

Dave23

RMS Regular
Drives
Merc
Nice work mate. I'll take this if you're selling it next year lol

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Well, the RS has succumbed to my primal urge to maximise its potential, so the tinkering has begun. I I'd been researching RS tuning for a while, to make sure I wasn't about to put the engine in danger and to find a remap that would suit my driving style. The standard ford map is completely Jekyll and Hyde - first third of pedal travel feels like a 1.6 and after that it's fairly potent, and once off the throttle the car decelerates quickly and this was a big difference from the 335i which would coast along for quite a while.
A lot of maps required the ECU to be opened and enabled, but a quick scan of the RS forums showed that after a while a few of the ECUs started dying, so that ruled out any of the local usuals, as well as JWR and JAMsport. That left Collins, Bluefin and REVO. The bluefin gets a rep for being even more On/Off than the standard map so that was out, and Collins gets credit for being very linear, but as a consequence it leaves a lot of midrange torque out, which I wanted for the usual tootling about. So that left REVO, but no one here had the equipment to do fords yet, so I pestered Performance360 and when they got the software in, I got booked in.
It was things like @Boydie 's S3 that persuaded me, as it ran perfectly without map related issues for the entire time.
Suffice to say, the car is awesome with the map, REVO quote 340-355bhp and around 390-415lbft and it feels it. The drivability is much nicer -

The car picks up about 500rpm than it did before, even before it's boosting, which I really missed from the BM (you could accelerate away smoothly from just over 1.5k rpm in 6th) so I can fire up a gear earlier if I want.
The engine just eats through 2nd, 3rd and 4th now like crazy, and you have to watch that you don't bounce off the limiter as it revs so smoothly. Remap or not, it was always a lovely engine, I've been caught out a couple of times sitting at 5k revs in 4th, thinking I was in 6th as it was so smooth and settled - until I prod the accelerator and it leaps on.
The throttle is much smoother, less on/off, so just easier to drive.

So very happy with it, but now I've started, I've a mountune air box and a decat sitting here too. Had to replace the air box pipe though, as they are prone to collapsing. Set stage 2 as my limit, couldn't be bothered with injectors, but looking forward to releasing some of the 5cyl sounds with the exhaust parts!

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
Do injectors and hook up Revo 4+ ;)

I was fairly fortunate that the extra hardware required for 4+ was already in situ with mine....going from MP350 which I really did not (like you) enjoy the MT map to Revo 4+ was like unlocking a new level of driveability :grinning:

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Awesome, glad you happy with it.

I saw a Mountune RS in Bangor last week with massive rims on it. It looked insanely good!

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Lol, I'll get the mountune air box fitted and get some pics going... Although it's got a bit wet all of a sudden :-(

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
You changed your mind quick about leaving the car completely standard :grinning: . Revo does seem to be the best out there

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
You changed your mind quick about leaving the car completely standard :grinning: . Revo does seem to be the best out there

Yeah, it was really as I was dying to get a decat on to experience the 5 cyl burblelicious sound, and so many reviews saying stuff like "feels like the car ford should have made" made it easy! :grinning:
Think revo are trying to extend their range out of vag, they can do the 2.5ST as well as the new 2l one. And the wee fiesta ST turbo as well.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Is this the same engine as the Volvo S60R? If so, I'd be worried about cracking liners when increasing HP! (Edit: I'm imagining they'll be slightly different)

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Great plans, you will love the sound on it without a cat, the pops from my ST are great, especially when you are travelling through a built up area and you get echo. Ive had people, even dogs jump with the pops it makes, and the overrun noise is great as you coast up to junctions etc. Ill need a look round it sometime, ive saw you on the road and it looks great.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.