My First Ford

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Nothing much - my big brake project hit the skids when it turned out that everywhere listed the wrong centre bore size for the discs. So I'd need to find some 360mm 32mm width discs which from the likes of ap or mountune are nearly the price of a full kit so waiting to see if any bargains come up.
Other than that, just keeping on top of maintenance and cleaning. I was tempted to go stage 2 or more, but I think I might need something more practical (the 3 door and non sliding recaros make it feel like a 2+2) and so no point personalising it too much at the expense of it not appealing to buyers. A long list of possible replacements is being compiled, but I sold the 335i for something more fully exploitable on my usual back road blast commute, and the RS was the perfect choice. Need something to match that, but be more practical. Thinking of:
Golf R
Leon cupra 280
Focus RS mk3
e90 M3
VXR8
Jag sv8 / xfr
C63
Audi s4 / s5 sportback tfsi

Thinking I might lose the fun nimbleness of the smaller cars with those latter suggestions. To be honest, id just like to buy a lower mileage RS and keep it for a loooooong time.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
have you moved the obd port yet? see a lot of these being stolen on the mainland!

I've been looking into that - I've a ludicrously low tech method currently that wouldn't stop someone with a bit of time and nice daylight, but banking on them not having that!

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
A few wee updates - had the RS for just over a year now and the mileage is soon about to hit 60k. That's usually the time I start looking for replacements and M3's, M5s, C63s, Golf R etc started to peak my interest, but to be honest the RS is awesome. It does my daily commute excellently (I don't mind a bit of firmness), the mpg is decent @25mpg, the sound is exotic, and it has the ability to seize the moment to turn a boring drive into a something special.

So decided to keep it for another 6-12 months, but that means I'm fixing up some wee niggles (as well as deciding to go stage 2)

Head unit had a few scrapes on it so got TK motors to spray is gloss black. Looks hugely better than the fake metal silver colour ( black buttons to follow)

Black gloss Panel~2.jpg

The next bit was to give her a good wash and see how the paintwork is doing for a 60k mile car - looking real good for the miles but one alloy needs a partial touch up, and I could do with Big Pete to sort some stonechips on the lower bumper.

20150809_132225.jpg

Then it was on to getting it sorted for stage 2 - a 3" milltek decat and downpipe were purchased and fitted (at differing times), and I got over to the motorgym to get her up and get a uprated torque mount fitted.
Then I got @Graham and Chris at TG performance NI to pop the stage 2 map on just there earlier. Haven't had more than a 2 minute drive to test her out, so looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow!

Sounds a bit tastier with the downpipe in, although it doesn't have a cat in it as standard so the extra .5" width on the new pipe made a surprising difference to the sound and performance which I didn't expect.

Might get a video done just so I can hear what it sounds like!

Last edited:

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
These are really starting to get my attention now... I just can't afford the high prices!! And by the looks of it the prices won't tumble when the new one arrives...

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Shay powers stage 2? 350-400?

Since the stage 2 was set with the parameters to the max it should be at 360bhp and 415lbft or thereabouts. It's not a massive jump up from stage 1 but the curves are much 'fatter' in stage 2 (stage 1 has a more peaky delivery). I can't imagine I'll feel the need for stage 4 so this'll do!

Prices are a dicey game to play - if you bought one of this brand new then then you'll have done well if you sell up soon. But I think prices will come down, regardless, I like this too much to worry that I might lose out once the mk3 is released. I'm just wondering if I could swap mine for Mark Kings low mileage one without him noticing. Then I could keep it for another 5-6 years!

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
The noise is addictive. Two years I have had mine, and although it does not sound as great as the RS, that 5cylinder note is just incredible. I took mine a run down the coast on saturday night, nobody about, both windows down and just enjoyed every bit of it!! Smiling from ear to ear all the way. Get a video up, i nominate to hold the camera on a flyby, and you can borrow my gopro and mount for over the exhausts lol.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
The noise is addictive. Two years I have had mine, and although it does not sound as great as the RS, that 5cylinder note is just incredible. I took mine a run down the coast on saturday night, nobody about, both windows down and just enjoyed every bit of it!! Smiling from ear to ear all the way. Get a video up, i nominate to hold the camera on a flyby, and you can borrow my gopro and mount for over the exhausts lol.

That sounds like a plan ( beats my idea of sellotaping my phone to the back.)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
hard car to replace ive had mine over 4 yrs now , tunnel at airport is good

Did you go full stage 4 on yours? I'm going to lose the final resonator but keep the standard backbox i think.

Any temptation for a mk3 RS?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
Well, got the resonator taken out at Armstrong Beattie in Bangor for £30, and finally there is some proper sound coming from the exhaust! @collyirwin11 - might actually be good to record it, here/see what its like. I must dig out the phone holder I had for the car and get an incar vid up too.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Well, got the resonator taken out at Armstrong Beattie in Bangor for £30, and finally there is some proper sound coming from the exhaust! @collyirwin11 - might actually be good to record it, here/see what its like. I must dig out the phone holder I had for the car and get an incar vid up too.

Unfortunately I cannot help anymore (n) moved over to liverpool on monday, but would love to still hear it. I will be back at halloween if you need a camera man lol

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
[QUOTEthere in tgat spot aNigelo, post: 2777104, member: 15101"]Sneaky wee photo from a shop window today, looking down.

20150905_153542_zpscbimg6bh.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I was in that space couple hours ago . Doing some furniture shopping :grinning: ddee road

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
[QUOTEthere in tgat spot aNigelo, post: 2777104, member: 15101"]Sneaky wee photo from a shop window today, looking down.

20150905_153542_zpscbimg6bh.jpg
I was in that space couple hours ago . Doing some furniture shopping :grinning: ddee road[/QUOTE]

Haha, exactly!! Good wee spot for the odd bargain! Nearly walked out with 2 sofas, a chest of drawers and a pair of bedside tables, but if I had opened the wallet only dust would've fallen out. :-D

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
and i thought you had an st ffs ... gorgeous deffo on my list to own .. must compare de resonated notes nige ..(y)(y)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
OP
Nigelo
I'm just worried that the ST might have more burbles than the RS and that's with a fancy downpipe and catless too! :-D I can at least manage one backfire on the warmup cycle.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.