Sapphire Cosworth

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Christmas 2020?

Christmas - year unspecified :p

No going back now :p

IMG_1898.jpg

Original lines smashed clean aff :p

Original tank - Looks buggered, but should clean up well

IMG_1900.jpg

£200 hit for this (Just the hose and separate fittings) and I still need another 5-6m of hose, 3 more fittings and hardware to secure the lines +o(

IMG_1899.jpg

@Bob CRX If you haven't bought your fuel lines yet, I'd go for teflon. I wish I knew then what I know now when I originally bought my lines.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I was tempted to call past tonight after seeing your post earlier as I thought you'd take the head staggers and start dismantling things.

Then I thought you might wait for the new stuff to arrive.

Moral of the story... Destruction never waits. I hope the heater was on as it's baltic out there tonight!

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
We wouldn't have been there.

Arrived at the workshop around 19:15 then decided to head to sport and spares shortly after. I had the tank etc out last night and just took the photos tonight.

You can come over at the weekend and help :p I've decided to drop the suspension out for some powerder coating action lol

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
We will have to do it somewhere else then. Il probably end up trekking to Sam's as usual anyway :p

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I hate cars.

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Decided to fix my seized coilovers today, what a disaster that turned into :worried:

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

I'm going to have to try and find somebody with a big die that can rethread the bodies. Silly me for thinking freshly electroplated bodies wouldn't rust that much lol. I think it was down to the adjusters being alloy and the body being steel - I gather contact between the two causes corrosion?

Removed the front and rear diffs as well. Front has a slight weep so it needs new seals, the rear has a very very slight whine so it's getting new bearings and seals.

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

I've Ford Motorsport group N bushes to fit to the TCAs

IMG_1908.jpg

I've also brand new front and rear ARB brackets, rear ARB bushes (genuine Ford) and I'm looking to get either genuine Ford front ARB bushes or Group N ones if they are still available.

I'll be powder coating the front and rear ARBs and any other bracket/mount that has come off the car.

IMG_1909.jpg

The rear calipers are going to Bigg Red to be reconditioned and finished in their black epoxy coating.

http://biggred.co.uk/finishoptions.php

I've also new brake lines for the APs and I'm going to get some flexy hoses made up for the rear calipers. Also plan on buying DS2500s for the rear and possibly reaplce the DS performance pads in the front with the same.

As always big thanks to @Mark King - he's the Tasmanian devil of car dismantling lol. Turned my back for two minutes and half the car was on the ground :p

Last edited:

RCT

RMS Regular
You can now get the brake pipe braided stuff in black, which is nicer imo. Roy does it.
The problem with the coil overs in a road car is the water and the fact they are never adjusted once you have them set. The rally ones always screw as they are in out, adjusted all the time and that's why they don't have as much an issue, except scrapping the tar off them because of the sticky tyres, which is a pain in the ass!! You'll get there though :grinning:.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Yup, Roy will be doing the hoses, at the same time my wallet gets raped for the remainder of the fuel fittings lol.

I got some grease that's supposed to be good to stop them seizing. Time will tell lol

Last edited:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Shock bodies saved thanks to OD cars :grinning: They were able to put the shock in a lathe and run a thread chaser up them. Cleaned the threads right out and now the lock rings move freely (y) I'm going to paint the non threaded parts black to try and prevent rust.

I've also ordered -

Front diff oil seal set
Rear diff oil seal and bearing set
Ferodo DS 2500 pads for the rear calipers
I've organised with Big Redd to have the rear calipers redone.

Hopefully I'll get up to Roy@Sport and spares this week to get the rear flexi hoses made and order the last of the fuel system.

I need a winning lottery ticket to pay for all this as well :p

NEVER EVER BUY AN OLD FORD!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Yeah Paul RS aluminium and steel don't mix that well together when they get wet, properly corrode each.

Also how bad is the petrol tank, remember getting a brand new remanufactured one from England for a 1800cc Sierra hatchback.
Just a thought.

Awesome car by the way, we're you up with Mark King at the RR day?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I'll not be making that mistake again lol

It's just grotty on the outside. Original Ford tanks are nearly impossible to get now. I've another tank, but it's a pattern part and unfortunately the swirl pots inside them aren't great so sprucing up the original is the best (safest) thing to do.

Yeah I was up with him and his smoke machine Caddy lol.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Would you not consider going to an external swirl pot and twin pump set-up? I'm sure I've seen a Reyland set-up that goes neatly beside the tank ?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Yeah, able to get steel adjusters?

Ah not so bad, I see never really looked inside the tanks, but the old one had rubbed of the ground and was leaking, and the joint was swelling as well.

Thought it might of been, it's a nice smoke machine alright, just glad the tailpipes faced out the door and there was no wind, unlike the rover later on that filled the place haha

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I've never seen steel ones for sale, hopefully this magic grease does the trick lol

I only went up as I was promised a food stop :p

Would you not consider going to an external swirl pot and twin pump set-up? I'm sure I've seen a Reyland set-up that goes neatly beside the tank ?

Total over kill for my spec, but if worst comes to worst it's something I'd consider. The normal twin cam tanks were still available last time I checked. They use an in tank pump, so i could use that to feed an external swirl pot and from there use my external pump to feed the rail.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I've never seen steel ones for sale, hopefully this magic grease does the trick lol

I only went up as I was promised a food stop :p

Ah I see, must have missed that bit.

Haha, that is always hard to refuse, have to say the wee cafe round the corner from obd is decent, and was packed that day and not RR ones

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.