Sapphire Cosworth

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Rubbed down the shock bodies, gave them a couple of coats of primer and managed to get one coat of gloss black on them. I'll do another coat or two when I'm over next.

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

Opened the front and rear diffs and cleaned as much of the old oil out as possible. Brake cleaner FTW! I'm going to try and get all the crud off the outside of the rear diff sometime it's not night and snowing outside :p Then next week, they are off to get rebuilt.

IMG_1914.jpg

This is what happens when you leave two bellends alone with tools and a couple of Sierra's :p

EE5EB50B-B00E-4198-9016-FD66F29BF084.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Front and rear DS 2500s arrived. The both cost similar amounts, yet the fronts are twice the size of the rears lol

IMG_1935.jpg

New lock ring to replace one i butchered in a fit of rage :p

IMG_1934.jpg

Front and rear diff bearings and seals

IMG_1933.jpg

Bushings pressed into the TCAs. Obviously these will be getting a good clean and paint before refitting. I've new balljoint rubbers to go on as well.

IMG_1931.jpg

New rear brake lines

IMG_1930.jpg

New fuel filter with new -6 fittings

IMG_1929.jpg

New fittings for the fuel pump

IMG_1928.jpg

8m of 600 series hose.

e194b29a-cc9a-4b40-9004-1eba05cd9e37.jpg

I'm waiting for 3 more fittings to complete the fuel system, I also need to figure out a neat way to secure the lines under the car whilst avoiding drilling new holes everywhere.

RCT

RMS Regular
What way were the originals on Paul? I know it means drilling small holes but you could fix the pipes with these mounting bases on tridents p111. If you get the smaller neater ones and then use the thomas and betts cable ties P110. They are plastic but with a metal tracer through them. Peugeot used them on wrc cars and I think others as well. Only other way is the P clips but you'll be drilling bigger holes.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2l...m?referrerUrl=http://www.tridentracing.co.uk/

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Can you only get them anodised fitting in blue/red, seen so many where black would suit so much better

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
What way were the originals on Paul? I know it means drilling small holes but you could fix the pipes with these mounting bases on tridents p111. If you get the smaller neater ones and then use the thomas and betts cable ties P110. They are plastic but with a metal tracer through them. Peugeot used them on wrc cars and I think others as well. Only other way is the P clips but you'll be drilling bigger holes.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2lj7m/OnlineCatalogue2014/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http://www.tridentracing.co.uk/

There are small 'pillars' that hold the original plastic clips under the passenger section of the floor pan. I was thinking about mounting alloy plates (say 80mmx20mm) onto those, then screwing P clips into them. That would do that section of the car, the hard section is round the rear beam/boot floor. I'm not sure what to do there as that area lacks the raised pillars. The bases you posted could be the answer! Also on a side note the cable ties with metal inserts - I used them in a previous job and have been searching for them for years! Thanks for the info :grinning:

Last edited:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Can you only get them anodised fitting in blue/red, seen so many where black would suit so much better

There are loads of colours available on the rubber nitrile stuff - Only red/blue or black for the teflon as far as a know. The reason I'm staying blue/red is that it matches the oil and water lines I've already got. There's no way I'm changing them again (some of the oil fittings where £60 EACH +o() plus the blue matches my silicone hoses @Gee :party:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
fantastic work, really is a cracking example

The bodywork isn't 100% but it's good for the age. Next big step is getting it painted lol. That will be a while down the road after my wallet recovers :p

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
by the same crowd that painted Marks? His car is truly the best painted car I have ever seen, flawless
Yep TKs. They've painted the engine bay on mine and the front bumper (ruined following an RS6 last year at the speed limit :innocent:)

Fortunately they'll not be painting mine brown like they did his @Mark King :kissing_heart:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There are loads of colours available on the rubber nitrile stuff - Only red/blue or black for the teflon as far as a know. The reason I'm staying blue/red is that it matches the oil and water lines I've already got. There's no way I'm changing them again (some of the oil fittings where £60 EACH +o() plus the blue matches my silicone hoses @Gee :party:

Torques or Earls do most fittings in black.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Must try and get a look round this at the next meet etc. The two of them are stunning (y)

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The 600 stuff is good gear for sure but underneath a car it gets buffeted around by the air, gets loads of dirt and crap into the braiding and the braiding can easily rub away underseal because hoses need tied down more often than solid lines. You can get 3/8" kunifer for under the car to order and use the 600 where you need to go to the pump and filter etc. Not the sexy option I know but it works and is a more robust solution under a road car imo. I have had to replace full car lengths of 600 due to chaffed braiding and it ain't cheap as you know.
Both cars look the mutts nuts BTW. (y)

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
The 600 stuff is good gear for sure but underneath a car it gets buffeted around by the air, gets loads of dirt and crap into the braiding and the braiding can easily rub away underseal because hoses need tied down more often than solid lines. You can get 3/8" kunifer for under the car to order and use the 600 where you need to go to the pump and filter etc. Not the sexy option I know but it works and is a more robust solution under a road car imo. I have had to replace full car lengths of 600 due to chaffed braiding and it ain't cheap as you know.
Both cars look the mutts nuts BTW. (y)

That's basically how the fuels were done before. I want as few joins as possible so don't really want to have to join two types of pipe together. I think I've a solution for the rubbing though, it'll make more sense when I get the bits and post them up lol.

Thanks for the advice though it always appreciated!

Paul RS

RMS Regular
OP
Paul RS
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Bilstein bodies painted

IMG_1940.jpg

Built back up

IMG_1942.jpg

This time using some grease lol

IMG_1941.jpg

TCAs blasted

IMG_1939.jpg

Primed and painted

IMG_1945.jpg

APs cleaned and waxed, old brake lines removed and DS 2500 pads fitted.

IMG_1943.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.