Trackskills Sunday 5th November 2023

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Same lol, I’ve found out why I was getting the brake judder, fairly common on Elise and Exige, all down to too much heat and drilled discs are a no no apparently.
A cheaper track car would be a much better idea I think. You can drive it as hard as you like and not really care if it breaks or goes off when compared to something a lot more expensive.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Same lol, I’ve found out why I was getting the brake judder, fairly common on Elise and Exige, all down to too much heat and drilled discs are a no no apparently.
A cheaper track car would be a much better idea I think. You can drive it as hard as you like and not really care if it breaks or goes off when compared to something a lot more expensive.

That's the man logic too but:
  1. I've no space
  2. Would possibly need a trailer
  3. Would need to get a tow bar on the Q5
  4. Would be never ending project
  5. No money :joy:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I've been fortunate to drive some amazing cars on track. Almost anything you could imagine from rally cars to supercars.

The best fun though was my mates turbocharged SRI Nova. It was about £1,500 worth and neither if us gave two hoots. It was stripped properly and weighed as much as a pack of Regal Filter. We embarrassed some very capable cars in that wee machine as it ran slicks.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This is why I stopped doing trackdays, you're not racing so there's no point in going balls out and wearing out your brakes etc, but then , why are you there? You sort of need a reason to be going balls out to get the full enjoyment from it, and at that point, you may as well have a dedicated car with numbers on the side and be competing at some level. 🤷‍♂️

That was my logic anyway, I know plenty don't want to get that serious about it or be tied down to specific dates for events etc. Having said all that, I'd like to build one of my cars as a trackday car as it would never be competitive in most series in any case.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I had a lot of fun and i can see why people get addicted. I woke up yesterday saying I could do it all over again but yeah the expensive(to me) car side of it means you can’t go flat out, accidents or mechanical failures do happen after all.

On the flip side the lotus is the kind of car that deserves a wee blast on the track now and again. I suppose the approach for me anyway is do the odd one, drive within my skill level and watch the big fast sweeping corners like debtors lol.

It will be getting some PPF fitted over winter too, some new stone chips and rash picked up for sure and a splattering of melted rubber up the side of it 😬

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
This is why I stopped doing trackdays, you're not racing so there's no point in going balls out and wearing out your brakes etc, but then , why are you there? You sort of need a reason to be going balls out to get the full enjoyment from it, and at that point, you may as well have a dedicated car with numbers on the side and be competing at some level. 🤷‍♂️

That was my logic anyway, I know plenty don't want to get that serious about it or be tied down to specific dates for events etc. Having said all that, I'd like to build one of my cars as a trackday car as it would never be competitive in most series in any case.
Regulations to comply with and the cost associated with same. Ive a car there and to make it eligible for most things i would needs new seats, harnesses and dear knows what else. I totally get what you are saying through about why would you bother going flat out if not a race. I think you would need a fast car to keep the excitement so you were pushing yourself as a driver to set a better time, get a better line etc. I would do another track day though, as much for a bit of banter with people as anything else.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
For me it's about being able to use the road car in anger without worry of police, other road users, hitting a tree etc, good way to see what the car is really capable of which you can't always do on the road.

Also a good day out with a few mates to compare laptime, laugh at each others misfortunes etc

But then like you say, you then get suckered in to chasing laptimes and wanting that bit more and before you know it your fitting a roll cage to your daily car and it no longer is a nice daily 😂

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It’s does put that urge to go fast on the road out of your system, I pottered home at about 40mph the whole way lol and yes you can find out what the car is capable of in a way you never could on the public roads, it’s good fun, bit of craic with others and a great way to clear the head.

PAULW

RMS Regular
I have been researching brakes for the last 2 days straight :joy:
Found what the go-to Pads are? Did a bit of reading myself but so many choices and no consistent answer.

Anyone caught the bug after the weekend and looking a cheap car to track you couldn't go far wrong with this at that price!
Anyone wanting a sub-3k Type R, I'm your man, I just need to fit new pads.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Found what the go-to Pads are? Did a bit of reading myself but so many choices and no consistent answer.

Anyone wanting a sub-3k Type R, I'm your man, I just need to fit new pads.

BBK's are £1900-2100 for something reasonable but you can go all the way up to £8k for carbon ceramics which is just nuts :joy:

1699358026320.png

Or I can buy what I currently have which I am happy with day to day which is:
  • VW GTI Clubsport S discs
  • Ferodo DS2500 pads

But upgrade the lines and fluid as well as a specific track pad to swap in and out for the days like these what Grant suggested:

EBC RP-1 Racing Front Pads - S3 (8V)

1699357992452.png

PAULW

RMS Regular
Unless you change the pads at the track, I'd avoid non R90 rated pads, if you had an accident on the way home (that warranted the car being examined) you'd have no insurance.

My experience of braided lines is that they make much less difference (on the road at least) than the internet would tell you. Can't speak for the track.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think different brands get recommended for different car makes but Performance friction and the Pagid RS range get good reviews for track use in the lotus anyway, still work very well from cold but can take a lot more heat and abuse when needed.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I like the Carbone Lorraine stuff. That's my 3rd season running them and I'll definitely get next year out of these pads too. I do run them on another road car too but they're pretty horrible day to day so would need swapped out afterwards I reckon.

This is why I stopped doing trackdays, you're not racing so there's no point in going balls out and wearing out your brakes etc,

Jennifer Lawrence Oops GIF

AC

RMS Regular
CL stuff is meant to be great but I've never used them - will likely grab a set and try for next year however I've been religiously using PBS Pro Race pads on the Clio and they are excellent. 0 fade, even after 3x back to back sessions and normally last me 3-4 track days - al be it yes it is a Clio and doesn't weigh very much but find it hard to go past them.

Braided lines and good fluid have always been a must for me (RBF660).

Last edited:

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Anyone caught the bug after the weekend and looking a cheap car to track you couldn't go far wrong with this at that price!

View attachment 416162

When he pulled in there was a pigeon folded perfectly round the front slower bumper lol, don't think it was for flying away 😂
Seen that myself @gav525 ,have one of them c2s there great wee cars done two trackdays at Aghadowey ,was talking to younger brother about using it for kirkistown because never been to it would like a rattle around it.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Which compound would you use Craig? I can get CL RC5+ cheaper than Pagid RS14 or RC6 for the same price. Reviews seem to say the RC6 are more dusty and squeal more as are the RS14.
I like the Carbone Lorraine stuff. That's my 3rd season running them and I'll definitely get next year out of these pads too. I do run them on another road car too but they're pretty horrible day to day so would need swapped out afterwards I reckon.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Which compound would you use Craig? I can get CL RC5+ cheaper than Pagid RS14 or RC6 for the same price. Reviews seem to say the RC6 are more dusty and squeal more as are the RS14.

I'm using RC5+ on the GTI and RC6 in the Swift

The RC6 are unbelievable. They just never fade, even after hours of solid track time they keep going. I never need to worry about brakes now. I've also found the RC5+ to be brilliant for fast road use but they are dusty and they do squeal. You can almost feel them scraping at the discs. They are absolutely miles ahead of OEM for ability to modulate and for heat resistance but I reckon you might crack up with the mess they leave lol

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS

In your lotus I wouldn't be looking Past DS2500, Such Versatile Pads, and well priced

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I'd be pretty hard on the forester on backroads etc and have ran cl r05s(?) Along with godspeed g hook discs. Yet to run out of brakes but a bugger to keep the car/wheels clean and noisy as fook in traffic.

Price wise..... was about 550 for a set of pads and discs all round. Had around 8000 miles out of them

CurtisG

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
@CurtisG Bluestuff manage the day well?
Good pedal feel, decent bite, any fade?

Honestly really impressed!

Used Motul RBF660 as well.

Once bedded in they were faultless and not a drop of fade even when I done sessions back to back on what is probably one of the heavier cars there. Did make it very obvious that my tyres and ability are probably the limiting factor now.

For those it might matter to EBC Bluestuff are R90 road legal as well which was a big decider in me getting them over the DS2500. Add on the fact the BMW Cup series use them thought I’d give them a go.

Based on my useage I’d say I’d probably expect to get a year out of them including 3 trackdays. Haven’t had much squealing either if anyone is considering daily driving them similar to myself.