Trackskills Sunday 5th November 2023

GrantR

RMS Regular
OP
GrantR
Cope ok with corners Boydie?

@G24NTR cant believe you didn’t wash and tyre slick it, letting the side down there.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
That’s was a great day, perfect weather and a great bunch of fellas to do it with, all very helpful and willing to lend a hand and tools if necessary. I really enjoyed, it’s certainly a learning experience and a great way to get to know the cars limits in a way you could never do on the road and see the lap times getting progressively better as the day went on and confidence increased. The car drove really well all day although uprated brakes are definitely on the list for next year(and new tyres). The track bug has certainly bitten. Great to meet you all in person hopefully do it again in spring 24.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Guys could I ask what sort of times you were all setting today .@boydie how did the s3 do ,interested in your thoughts on it and what you would need to improve on it for track days rather than drag setup .

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I didn’t want to go down the rabbit hole of chasing times on my first day out or spin off the track but the mobile apps are great for getting lap info. Time wise I was prob the slowest lol started around 1.19 and got down to a 1.12.9, there were a few getting 1.09’s and and a PB for one member of 1.06 something! Im Sure they will post up how they did 👍

GrantR

RMS Regular
OP
GrantR
I didn’t want to go down the rabbit hole of chasing times on my first day out or spin off the track but the mobile apps are great for getting lap info. Time wise I was prob the slowest lol started around 1.19 and got down to a 1.12.9, there were a few getting 1.09’s and and a PB for one member of 1.06 something! Im Sure they will post up how they did 👍

1471256782-clarkson-being-a-smug-t**t.gif

CurtisG

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Wonder was that the run just before I cooked them and overshot colonial 😅. I was definitely trying hard, seen you at the hairpin and was hoping you’d get a shot like that. Rears clearly doing nothing with all the weight going forward 😂

I witnessed this from behind.

Then you took off and disappeared 😂

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Guys could I ask what sort of times you were all setting today .@boydie how did the s3 do ,interested in your thoughts on it and what you would need to improve on it for track days rather than drag setup .
I started in 1.13’s tho I’d been out before in the Mazda twice so had an idea what it could do as done a 1.10.5 couple years ago. Wasn’t fully happy with the brakes as the pedal wasn’t as firm as it should be but got into the groove and got more confident with the brakes despite the softer pedal and managed a 1.09.934 in the last session.

Need better pads/fluid and bit of cooling but definitely need proper track tyres, road tyres were at their absolute limit with nothing more to give me 😂

IMG_1124.jpeg

I witnessed this from behind.

Then you took off and disappeared 😂
Was you in the M2 I’m guessing? Was tad embarrassing as knew you were behind 😂

Brakes got bit cooked and was tiny bit later on them, knew the run off was there so was lucky enough, just wasn’t sure it loop back onto the track, was about to do a U turn.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Called out for a bit whilst down at my folks house. Baby needed a run in the car to get his nap so… why not.
Still got a huge amount of want for @Coog ’s swift…. Perfect track car…
Got a small vid from the hairpin, need to be up at the far end of the track or the chicane for the main action though I think.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Called out for a bit whilst down at my folks house. Baby needed a run in the car to get his nap so… why not.
Got a small vid from the hairpin, need to be up at the far end of the track or the chicane for the main action though I think.

Nice to see few shots of the car, still could do with being louder 😂

That touring car Leon was intimidating behind me for a bit.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Did the red Lambo that i passed on the way out go out on track?

Would have loved to have taken the Jag for a spin on the track, but chickened out, though thanks to @Ben P ,@gav525 and @G24NTR for trying to encourage me - very nearly buckled and went for it(y)

Got a want for a purpose specific track car now. Just got to come up with some decent man-maths to make it work:p

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The Weird thing about my brakes was that they were still working as in they didn’t seem to have that much fade but I wasn’t confident waiting until the last minute to stand on them. It was the vibration coming through the steering wheel that was unnerving, it got worse the hotter they got and then was gone again once they had cooled down. Im not sure what it was but I wasn’t too keen on it.

@Coog swift is a dark horse on the track, it just shows that you don’t need massive power to put in some really good times and have fun

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
A real 133 on the back straight! My speedo said 120 but actual speed on gps was 110. That thing of yours is seriously quick @G24NTR
Can testify this 100%. Was watching his speedo just before the hairpin, exiting the chicane at 50-60 then rattling (pdq) up to an indicated 140!, before hitting the brakes.

GrantR

RMS Regular
OP
GrantR
A real 133 on the back straight! My speedo said 120 but actual speed on gps was 110. That thing of yours is seriously quick @G24NTR
Can testify this 100%. Was watching his speedo just before the hairpin, exiting the chicane at 50-60 then rattling (pdq) up to an indicated 140!, before hitting the brakes.

Cheers, few small tweaks makes a big difference like pads, fluid and tyres. Running the standard rears 285/30/20 vs track rears 295/30/18 puts the speedo out but i'm usually hitting indicated 135-140 on a good lap. I also brake wayyyyy too early but I prefer driving at 80% and giving myself that extra bit of security.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
The Weird thing about my brakes was that they were still working as in they didn’t seem to have that much fade but I wasn’t confident waiting until the last minute to stand on them. It was the vibration coming through the steering wheel that was unnerving, it got worse the hotter they got and then was gone again once they had cooled down. Im not sure what it was but I wasn’t too keen on it.

@Coog swift is a dark horse on the track, it just shows that you don’t need massive power to put in some really good times and have fun
Craigs swift is very impressive, wee thing just grips and grips. no power is wasted.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Great day out that, good to see so many RMSer at it and always good to put faces to names etc. Can't believe how nice the weather turned out in the end!

Wee Yaris performed faultlessly, it just keeps on gripping! Laptime wise I set out wanting to do a sub 1:10.
For comparison, previous cars best times I've had round there the Clio 200 and Mini GP were 1:12 and 1:13, 911 was 1:11 and the Alfa was a 1:08.1.
The Yaris put in a very respectable 1:09.3 in the end session, so happy with that! I'd say the 8s are achievable as well with better tyres and some practice!

Roll on next year to get going again!

20231105_124909.jpg
20231105_124920.jpg
20231105_124922.jpg
20231105_130354.jpg
20231105_154736.jpg
20231105_154746.jpg
20231105_165647.jpg

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Looks like "best rms meet ever"

Hopefully grab a trailer and start getting forester out to a few of these in the new year for a bit of a shake down. What's the safety requirements for the cars? Is it just a quick look over to ensure its not a parcel?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Looks like "best rms meet ever"

Hopefully grab a trailer and start getting forester out to a few of these in the new year for a bit of a shake down. What's the safety requirements for the cars? Is it just a quick look over to ensure its not a parcel?
On your own life be it basically. Tho if it looked dodgy they would take a look at it probably.

AC

RMS Regular
Wasn't able to make this one unfortunately but I did call down to drop off some oil to a friend and stayed to watch a session with my son - looked like you all had great fun and the weather was absolutely smashing.

The Clio is tucked away now for a few months and will have the BC's back in and also have a new (recon) box with quaife LSD to go in for the start of the new season - looking forward to getting back out again!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

It performed very well over all and went no where near what its probably capable of due to my talent/lack of but that will hopefully come in time. First session I was getting a lot of spluttering/hesitation full boost in 3rd so @G24NTR suggested knocking the map down to Performance Mode A on the Revo SPS and there after, no issues at all 🤷‍♂️

It went there same set up as the drag racing - had the Accellera 651 Xtra track/road tyres on my spare wheels and thats it. Didn't strip the car this time and washer bottle was full

I was with the n00bies in Group 3 so it was great to get out with the more experienced drivers in the open session after lunch - following @gav525 was a good help to see what lines to take/braking etc... however, I over cooked a several laps coming into Colonial I think where I was braking too late and didn't commit to the right turn so decided to go off. A learning curve anyway.

Me full send 1.15 :joy:

Went a passenger run with Grant on the last session and I was able to see what I was doing wrong in most corners.

Same with me, my speedo was saying 126mph but I think it was 118mph on the app

Great day have to say, no ragrets except my bank balance later this month when its due a service, brake fluid now and pads :joy: Underestimated how much fuel I would go through but was near the end of session 3 and petrol light came on 🙈🙈 turned out I did 151 miles to that tank so roughly 12mpg :joy:

Roll on Feb!

1699264126777.png

1699264141420.png

Glowing brakes coming off session 3 - they were seriously hot!

1699264314546.png

Love this car, it gets hammered on B roads every day, been to 10+ drag days, been launched 100+ times, toured round the UK and gets me to work every day with no major fuss. Just turned 89k too there at the weekend :eek: