Tyres- budget or not

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

amcm1

RMS Regular
Can't go wrong with kumhos, have drove on quite a few bad budget tyres and never again would I do it. Some real dodgy tyres for sale that would show you no mercy in the wet

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I needed some for the type r before I sold it and fired on dmac apparently they do rally tyres. Was impressed for the money for all the time that I drove the car with them on.

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
Checked black circles the other day for 235/35/19, around £174 fitted for Michelin Pilot Supersports

Camskill doing 235/35/19 Uniroyal Rainspirt 3's for £107 delivered, fitting to be added on at around £40 for the 4

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
The budgets I have on the front on the daily golf have better wet grip than Toyo Proxies imo.

Budget really are hit and miss though...

pablo

RMS Moderator
Ive Altenzos on the Saab and have to say they are spot on. Got them from Kerrs. Wasnt a huge range of size iirc though.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Some budget tyres are very deceptive in that they grip unbelievably well for the first couple of mm but when they get towards halfway to the markers the grip just disappears. It's all to do with the compound.

I've heard of this on more than one occasion with Sunnys, which is why we don't sell them.

As for Uniroyals, the Rainsport 3s are 'A' rated for wet grip, which is almost unheard of even among the top brands. If they didn't have such soft sidewalls they'd be almost perfect.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Kuhmo KU39's are a pretty good tyre, too good to be made by Kumho lol

They're a great compromise between price and performance.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I did a full 360 spin on Sunnys on the Bangor to Belfast carriageway one morning. Whipped the brakes on whilst changing lanes and she just spun! Absolutely terrible tyre!

JonM

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Checked black circles the other day for 235/35/19, around £174 fitted for Michelin Pilot Supersports

Camskill doing 235/35/19 Uniroyal Rainspirt 3's for £107 delivered, fitting to be added on at around £40 for the 4
I put RainSport 3s on my 330 and for the money they're brilliant. It rains most of the time in this country so you may as well have tyres designed for that purpose. I got two front ones (18) for £180 fitted and balanced at Charles Hurst tyres in Boucher.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I've had hiflys on the car before, they had good dry grip but I had them down to the markers in about, 7k miles lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
If it helps I've kept with the OE Dunlops on my A5 Quattro. I got them at a great price and they are a very very good tyre.

Just make sure you keep with Asymmetric tyres and the right load rating.

Phone Magowan Tyres, I'm sure they will be able to sort you out :grinning:.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Anyone ever used Zetas?

We have sold hundreds of them and have yet to hear a bad report.

They're Chinese but seem to be one of the better ones.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Had Zeta on the wife's car and she thought there something wrong. Seriously noisy compared to whatever was on there before, Dunlops I think. Apart from that they seemed a good enough tyre, but it was just a 1.9tdi Fabia.

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I've had Zetas before, probably depends on car and application but i'll never use them again personally, far too hard a compound, car understeered massively in the wet. Now running Uniroyal Rainsport 3's... can't fault them, one of the best all round tyres for the money and perform very well in the wet.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Some budget tyres are very deceptive in that they grip unbelievably well for the first couple of mm but when they get towards halfway to the markers the grip just disappears. It's all to do with the compound.

I've heard of this on more than one occasion with Sunnys, which is why we don't sell them.

As for Uniroyals, the Rainsport 3s are 'A' rated for wet grip, which is almost unheard of even among the top brands. If they didn't have such soft sidewalls they'd be almost perfect.
A lot of budget tyres have the habit of decent grip when cornering but once past there limit just completely let go, where as the better tyres tend to lose grip more progressively giving you a chance of staying out of the hedge.

martybelfastsri

RMS Regular
Drives
all sorts
put 4x 18 acceleras on a car at 200 fitted and balanced seemed dead on and easy on the pocket was told taxi drivers buying them flat out should have been enough to stay clear lol in the dry seemed dead on wet is a different ball game all together if the car didnt have esp they would have been taken off can get it into all sorts of angles lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
If you are on a budget then perhaps partworns would tide you over until such times as you can buy new, although personally I dont like part worns.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.