Tyres- budget or not

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
No 100% serious!

Friend of my brother has a 997 and had a bit of a prang and after a lengthly legal debacle his insurer won and he got nothing due to not having N rated tyres fitted.

He made the most of the bad situation though and had a full neon green respray +o(

Obviously I'm only going by what he told me but he doesn't seem the type to make stuff up.

Something does sound fishy with that story, but it's 100% true that Porsche can void your warranty if you aren't running the correct N rated tyres. I'm in a similar situation at the moment and need to find out for certain if David Prentice will honour a warranty claim if I don't have the "star" rated Michelin Pilot Sports 2 on the car, as I'd rather fit the superior Pilot Super Sports which are used on all newer M cars, but don't come "star" rated in my sizes.

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
That certainly makes more sense. Warranty yes, insurance definitely not.

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
Altenzo middle of the road Keith? More like through the fence at the end of the road !

Altenzo used to be a budget tyre but have came on along way. They used to be very bad in the wet. As an Australian tyre they where developed original for a better climate than ours. They have now spent huge amount of money on research and development and have completely changed there compound to suit wet weather. I would now class them as a mid range tyre.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
I had Kuhmo KU39 275/35/R19 on the rear of the 350z. They're OK for what I'd class as a budget tyre. They had better initial grip than the Dunlop Sport Maxx I had on at one stage.

£123 brand new from here http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...rd&Label=C-A-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-250794

find a cheap place that fits tyres (my tyres in Glengormley does them for between £5 and £10 a tyre) They also clean off the wheel afterwards to ensure no marks have been made. Also let you drive your car in to the garage which I like too.

Not sure ill ever buy them again. I recently bought Pilot Sport 3's for the Fiesta and even though the car is no where near as powerful they out perform the KU39 in every aspect.

Its also worth checking here to see for reviews for the tyres

for example;

PS3's http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-3-PS3.htm
KU39's http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-KU39.htm

pablo

RMS Moderator
Altenzo used to be a budget tyre but have came on along way. They used to be very bad in the wet. As an Australian tyre they where developed original for a better climate than ours. They have now spent huge amount of money on research and development and have completely changed there compound to suit wet weather. I would now class them as a mid range tyre.

yup your recommendation was spot on Neil (y)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Something does sound fishy with that story, but it's 100% true that Porsche can void your warranty if you aren't running the correct N rated tyres. I'm in a similar situation at the moment and need to find out for certain if David Prentice will honour a warranty claim if I don't have the "star" rated Michelin Pilot Sports 2 on the car, as I'd rather fit the superior Pilot Super Sports which are used on all newer M cars, but don't come "star" rated in my sizes.

I heard BMW will void the warranty if you don't have the wee star on your tyres that BMW approved ones do

Real balls of a setup, just to make you give them more money

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I heard BMW will void the warranty if you don't have the wee star on your tyres that BMW approved ones do

Real balls of a setup, just to make you give them more money

Well IF i decide to take out a warranty it'll be a David Prentice BMW one rather than AUC BMW, so it may be different. I won't know until I go see them.

You don't have to pay more for the star tyres, though, in fact sometimes they're cheaper, it just depends on stock levels.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Well IF i decide to take out a warranty it'll be a David Prentice BMW one rather than AUC BMW, so it may be different. I won't know until I go see them.

You don't have to pay more for the star tyres, though, in fact sometimes they're cheaper, it just depends on stock levels.
Really make told me there were stupidly expensive, tho he might have been comparing them to a different brand

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Really make told me there were stupidly expensive, tho he might have been comparing them to a different brand

I just did a quick check for front tyres for my motor 255/40/19's Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. BMW star marked £160, Mercedes marked £159, unmarked £168. Cheaper to buy BMW or Mercedes versions.

Last edited:

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
Had mine on the saab since march chris. no drama yet.

Depends on the car tough I find. I had an ST220 with nankangs on it and they were dead on. Then had a 330 with same nankangs on the back and they were lethal, couldnt get them off quick enough. I cant explain it but geometry/weight etc must play a role in which tyres work.

I also had a set of BCTs on my S3 for about a week on spare wheels and they were actually ok.

bit pot luck really I think.

Have Altenzo on my Saab also and I chuck it about a fair bit, I find them really decent.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
What's this talk about bmw voiding warranty due to tyres? What type of claims would they reject due to the tyres?

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
depends on car, budget are ok for a runabout 99% of the time, until u have an emergency stop situation i reckon theyd be ***** then

santoz

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
The Goodyear F1 Eagles on my VRS have to be the worst tyres I've ever experienced in the wet, any corner in the wet and the car feels like its on remoulds. It's strange though as there's a budget brand GT Radial Champiro UHP1 on the rear and I can't get the ass to step out, swapped the GT Radial Champiro UHP1 to the front and they're performing better than the F1 Eagles!

On the Clio I've currently Michelin PS2's and Goodyear Efficientgrip and I'd rate the Goodyear Efficient Grip over the PS2's in mixed driving conditions although in the dry nothing can touch the PS2's (y)

Going to try D-Mack's next or Goodyear Efficientgrip on the VRS

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
From what I heard, suspension and wheels.

Don't think that to be true. Never ever heard of that problem.

One of the reasons for the star was when michelin were suppling both BMW & Porsche. Although the size was shared between some models the BMW tyres were XL or extra load as the car was a saloon car where as the Porsche was mostly a coupe or really a two seater. If you ran the Porsche tyres and say had an accident due to tyre failure the insurance would have had a get out clause.

Never heard of it causing a warranty issue as a manufacture cannot specify a specific tyre you MUST run, only size, load & speed rating

SMcP114

RMS Regular
Drives
Austin Allegro
The Goodyear F1 Eagles on my VRS have to be the worst tyres I've ever experienced in the wet, any corner in the wet and the car feels like its on remoulds. It's strange though as there's a budget brand GT Radial Champiro UHP1 on the rear and I can't get the ass to step out, swapped the GT Radial Champiro UHP1 to the front and they're performing better than the F1 Eagles!

On the Clio I've currently Michelin PS2's and Goodyear Efficientgrip and I'd rate the Goodyear Efficient Grip over the PS2's in mixed driving conditions although in the dry nothing can touch the PS2's (y)

Going to try D-Mack's next or Goodyear Efficientgrip on the VRS

I done 8000 miles on 20 inch eagle f1's and thought they were shocking. I put it down to the car but once they were swapped to Continentals it was like a different car altogether.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Odd bother loved the Goodyear eagle f1's on his golf in 18inch

In both the old directional pattern and new asymmetrical pattern.
Awesome in wet or dry

But then bought new wheels the same came with Michelin pilot sports and they were better in the wet

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Everyone has their preference. I always ran budget on my bangers and Michelin on my good cars. Tried most of the others inc Eagles but never liked any like the michelins. Currently running SS and think they are great.
As for middle of the road tyres I've kuhmos on Big Red and I must say they seem pretty good if a little road noisy

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The KH31's seem to get good reviews and are the control tyre used in one of the mx5 racing series'. Seem to do a decent enough job on road and can take a bit of pressure on the track without falling to pieces. Decent grip in all conditions, progressive and predictable which is perfect (for me, seeing as I'm unfortunately NOT an absolute pilot lol) and £40 odd a corner for my application. Think I'll squeeze the trigger on a set myself in the new year ahead of any potential 'ring trips.

Different tyres react differently on different cars, weights, set-ups and driving styles. I ran F1's on my GSI Vectra and they were brilliant but they didn't feel as good on my SRI Corsa and so were replaced with potenzas when they wore out which felt much better.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
From what I heard, suspension and wheels.

These plus drivetrain I would imagine. I've heard of some BMW's developing gearbox faults due to the car not being fitted with star rated tyres, although i'm a bit sceptical of that myself.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
These plus drivetrain I would imagine. I've heard of some BMW's developing gearbox faults due to the car not being fitted with star rated tyres, although i'm a bit sceptical of that myself.
Some how i doubt that would happen, but I could see BMW trying to void the warranty for the like of that if a car didn't have star stamped tyres.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Don't think that to be true. Never ever heard of that problem.

One of the reasons for the star was when michelin were suppling both BMW & Porsche. Although the size was shared between some models the BMW tyres were XL or extra load as the car was a saloon car where as the Porsche was mostly a coupe or really a two seater. If you ran the Porsche tyres and say had an accident due to tyre failure the insurance would have had a get out clause.

Never heard of it causing a warranty issue as a manufacture cannot specify a specific tyre you MUST run, only size, load & speed rating

Surely a warranty company such as AUC BMW can stipulate that only OEM parts are used? Star rated tyres are OEM on M cars. I phoned AUC about their terms, more specifically servicing and they told me it can be serviced anywhere so long as OEM parts are used. Charles Hurst's own warranty on the other hand stipulates that the car has to be serviced by them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.