Tyres- budget or not

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

B6GUE

RMS Regular
Drives
MK1 FRS
What's people's view on the RainSport 3's?

Going to put 2 on the front of the focus she drives after dinner or 2morrow, the Continenal's on the front are well wore (235/40/18) btw

And it's coming close to chrimbo and 2 birds 1 stone and all that :laughing:

*edit*

Just got a great price for rainsport3's instead of 2 's

Last edited:

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I'm currently running that household tyre brand roadstone. Coped the very best in glenarm last week in the snow, ice and black ice. £47 a corner bargain (y)

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
What car is it for?

Went from Zetas to uniroyal rainsport 3 on the wife's civic and it made a big difference, particularly in the wet. Hard to beat for value vs grip, especially on a car that isnt going to be driven hard.

Any sort of performance car though you are mad to put budget tyres on IMO. Totally changes the drive too, especially if its something with soft sidewalls....

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
So I called into a tyre place in bangor today and the guy tells me that the brand of tyre on my car is specifically made for Audi and putting anything else on it will affect the handling, is this bull**** or is there any truth in it

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
It's true.

How much it will affect the handling, well that's open to interpretation!

I do know that if you have an accident in a Porsche and don't have 'N' rated tyres fitted that your insurer will pay out £0.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
I have Hankook on both mine and the wife's car and so far they are the best I've driven on. That's out of Firestone, Michelin and various budget crap.

I like finding a brand and staying with it so will be hard to look past Hankook in future.

Last edited:

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
It's true.

How much it will affect the handling, well that's open to interpretation!

I do know that if you have an accident in a Porsche and don't have 'N' rated tyres fitted that your insurer will pay out £0.

I appreciate that putting a tyre on that doesn't match the specifications of the original would cause issues but I can't believe a tyre which meets those specifications but comes from another manufacturer would cause an issue

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Well the tyres a car will come from factory with will most likely will be the ones that all testing and setup is done with, so will be optimized for that specified tyre with its specific compound etc.

But the difference won't be as big as he is making out. That is if you replace them with comparable tyres

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
To date on my cars ive had the following;

Fulda
Bridgestone
Uniroyal
Avon (worst on this list)
Goodyear
Continental

Theyve all been dead on.
Ive also had various tyres ive never heard of that already came on the cars ive bought. They always get swapped asap as i cant believe how bad theyve been.
Seriously bad!

So in conclusion if ive never heard of the brand i stay clear.
Im sure il miss out on some decent budget tyres but im happier in the knowledge that im safe on any of the well known brands even if it does mean im paying a bit more.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I appreciate that putting a tyre on that doesn't match the specifications of the original would cause issues but I can't believe a tyre which meets those specifications but comes from another manufacturer would cause an issue

• A0: Audi original - tyre construction approved by Audi
  • A02: Audi original - tyre construction approved by Audi (with runflat technology)
  • R01 / R02: tyre construction approved for Audi Quattro
I spoke to a rep from Michelin once and quizzed him about the OEM stamps and he more or less said that there is little to no difference between the stamped tyres and those of the same model and spec, so personally I think it's a marketing ploy designed to make the more gullible amongst us buy the more expensive OEM approved tyre.

Personally however I'm a fan of fitting the original brand and model of tyre to a car if I can get my hands on them. Whether they're OEM approved or not doesn't bother me though.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Well the tyres a car will come from factory with will most likely will be the ones that all testing and setup is done with, so will be optimized for that specified tyre with its specific compound etc.

But the difference won't be as big as he is making out. That is if you replace them with comparable tyres

Here is a curve ball for you !

Do you know if you buy the exact same tyres as replacements they won't be the same!

Anyone who's ever owned a new car usually notices their original tyres last longer than replacements can do.
Also the rubber compound varies between markets so despite the branding they won't be exactly the same

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Here is a curve ball for you !

Do you know if you buy the exact same tyres as replacements they won't be the same!

Anyone who's ever owned a new car usually notices their original tyres last longer than replacements can do.
Also the rubber compound varies between markets so despite the branding they won't be exactly the same
Never had a car that was anywhere near new, so I honestly wouldn't have a clue about that.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Interesting stuff, don't think I will stick with the OEM unless I get a deal on them

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Put some hankook v12 evos on my car a few weeks ago and I think they are great. £90 a corner so probably mid range price wise, that's 18s though.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Put some hankook v12 evos on my car a few weeks ago and I think they are great. £90 a corner so probably mid range price wise, that's 18s though.

I have them on the NSX as they were one of the few brands I could find in both sizes to have a matching set front and back.

I was dubious at first but must say they are an excellent tyre. Could not fault them.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Had the Evos on the rear of the 8 series. Great tyres alright.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.