VW diesel emissions scandal

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It'll be interesting to see the outcome of what the real world MPG actually is.

There is no such thing as "real world" numbers for anything to do with MPG or emissions. Never has been. That all depends on the individual, how you use the car, etc. There is a really easy way to work out "real world" MPG though - fill the tank, go for a drive and measure the distance, fill the tank again, divide distance by amount of fuel (converting to appropriate units, etc.) :p :innocent:

There will be no (or only token) change to how any future "official" numbers are measured, because it is all linked to taxation and fleet buying, and there is no way anyone will change the goal posts for that. It would break the entire system across EU.

For the same reason, there will be no change to the "official" numbers quoted for the affected cars. Again, they are only for tax and fleet buying purposes, and there is no way anyone would or could change that after the fact. Instead VW will be hit with a fine, and that will be it.

So that only leaves if the "software update" to "bring emissions into line" (or at least, to give that impression to the politicians...) will affect the fuel economy and/or performance of any cars receiving the update. Sure some journalist will arrange for some expert to test the update in excruciating detail when the time comes :grinning: There will probably be a Panorama investigation on due course, maybe even Horizon cover!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
You have really got to wonder what percentage of people are actually going to respond to this 'recall'. As far as I can see there is absolutely no reason to do so for most people. For me for example (and I imagine most other people) it would cost me to me and money to get it to VW for the 'update' to make my car less fuel efficient and less powerful. If it were a safety issue it would be different and I imagine you would get nearly everybody bringing their cars in but for this I can imagine that it will be a very low uptake.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Just had this alert on a 2015 CGLC engined A4 on portal.

Roughly translates to 'measure diesel exhaust'.

image.jpeg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
You have really got to wonder what percentage of people are actually going to respond to this 'recall'. As far as I can see there is absolutely no reason to do so for most people. For me for example (and I imagine most other people) it would cost me to me and money to get it to VW for the 'update' to make my car less fuel efficient and less powerful. If it were a safety issue it would be different and I imagine you would get nearly everybody bringing their cars in but for this I can imagine that it will be a very low uptake.

I'd imagine quite a few would take it in. Chance for a free valet and free 'service' too. I've spoke to a few (non car folk) that seem almost excited by the prospect of taking their car to the dealer for a fancy new remap and a free clean courtesy of this VW scandal. Hilarious.

Horizonzero

RMS Regular
TBH how many of the manufacturers aren't at it in some way or another - you only have to look at the claimed mpg figures that some (or indeed, all) put out - pure fantasy, achievable only in a lab on a rolling road with little resistance. Yeah, they're 'capable' of it, but you sure as hell aren't going to get anywhere near the claims. My wifes old DS3 was 'claimed' 75mpg - could get 46-50 out of it at a push (Although the trip computer always read optimistically in the 60's)

The systems are built to pass the test, they just got caught with that particular method :grinning:

I got 80-90 mpg in my DS3 on the motorway all day long

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
I read that VW America has just issued this statement, wonder if VW UK will do anything similar, I highly doubt it(n)

Returning Volkswagen owners may be eligible for a $2,000* Owner Loyalty Bonus toward the purchase or lease of a new, 2015 or 2016 GTI model.
*For an individual or immediate family member residing at the same address as the individual (proof of residency required) who currently owns a Volkswagen vehicle (proof of ownership/registration is required). Limit one incentive per eligible VIN. Volkswagen of America, Inc. will pay a $2,000 Owner Loyalty Bonus toward the lease or purchase of a new, unused 2015 or 2016 Jetta, Passat, CC, Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Eos, Golf, Golf GTI, Golf R, e-Golf, Golf SportWagen, Tiguan, Touareg, and Touareg TDI. Excludes all other TDI® Clean Diesel models. No trade-in required. Offer is non-transferable. Loyalty Offer Bonus must be applied toward customer lease or purchase and is not redeemable for cash. Incentive paid to dealer and requires dealer participation. May not be combined with Volkswagen Fleet Incentives, Conquest, other Loyalty, or Dealership Employee Programs. Corporations, companies, businesses, and dealerships are not eligible. Fleet leasing, fleet management or dealer-affiliated fleet companies are not eligible. Offer ends November 2, 2015. See your local Volkswagen dealer for financing details or, for general product information, call 1-800-374-8389. © 2015 Volkswagen of America, Inc.

AC

RMS Regular
Some of the comments under that post are funny though, one stated....

"The French car manufacturers should be fined for making cheap nasty cars and Vauxhall for making utter **** cars."

Another guy just said...

"Go **** yourselves" haha

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
Lol I got the same result on mine. They can't make you take it in, as I've had the conversations about this nearly everyday with customers I always asked them the same question..... "when buying the car did you ask about the nox gases coming out of the car or were you more concerned about the cheap tax??" ...... no of course you didn't, so why are you jumping on the bandwagon degrading a product you know nothing about?
Watching the news the other night they were always talking about "a device" that needs removed..... how about go educate yourself on how emissions is controlled and then see how big a deal it really is.

Attachments

• 2015-10-04 16.00.30.png
    2015-10-04 16.00.30.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 104

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Well I suppose the "cheat device" being the map , and it needing "removed" so to speak , you can understand. My problem is (well I would like to make a big deal of it to see what the outcome is) the cars are bought depending on the tax and MPG and if this changes because of what they have to do then people have a right to complain. I personally don't care but just wish I'd never got a diesel (my 1st ever) and wonder if I could hand it back and get a petrol instead.
Perfectly reasonable request I think :innocent:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
People may not care about NOx but they might care about the changes made to the car in order to meet the NOx requirements.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wonder whatll happen when vw recalls them and finds half of them have been mapped with dpf removed etc

I'd say it'd be fair game for VW to charge those customers to replace the DPF etc in order than emissions can be restored. After all, if those owners are so concerned, they'd never have removed it in the first place.
They could easily open up a huge can of worms for themselves, as VW could maybe get into a position where the government wont let them put a car back out without being correct ?

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
It's not going to make a difference to us in the UK as diesels don't get tested for nox at MOT. Although this may change, if they do a software adjustment and there is a possibility it MAY reduce the power output of the car then yes I understand why people will complain and start out with legal complaints about being mis sold a product etc but VW are more than capable of getting the results they need without too big an impact on power output just look at the 1.6tdi and what they range in bhp ratings across the models.