WRC 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sam.

RMS Regular
Sign of something to come?

I think Meeke & Petter would be a dream team for citroen, both massive personalities and would sell well as they always have some craic in interviews etc
I'd like to see Kris & Petter at Citroen. Ostberg has to be on his way out with the way this season has went.

Maybe he will come back now that he's proved himself still worthy in RX...

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I'd like to see Kris & Petter at Citroen. Ostberg has to be on his way out with the way this season has went.

Maybe he will come back now that he's proved himself still worthy in RX...
He only left as noone would pay his wages and he was fed up spending his own money on something that he wasnt in a full works car so was hard to compete.

RX is a much more level field regards the cars

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
I think there might be too much being read into this Solberg drive. It is what it is - a one off drive in a Citroen C4 in the final round of the Belgian championship. Same way Markko Martin appeared in a Subaru Impreza on the Cork 20 in 2006.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I think there might be too much being read into this Solberg drive. It is what it is - a one off drive in a Citroen C4 in the final round of the Belgian championship. Same way Markko Martin appeared in a Subaru Impreza on the Cork 20 in 2006.
I dont.

Colin clarke has been dropping hints left right and centre and he is seldom wrong in the long grass

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
So you reckon Citroen have dug out an old C4 WRC for him? Why not give him a DS3? The technology is so different between the two cars that it would be very hard to benchmark between the two cars. Also, if he's going to get a works drive, it would make sense to give him as much seat time in the proper car as possible.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
No it's his own car but doing it merely for some experience on notes and proper roads again than a citroen backed thing

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Meeke will also be at Condroz in a Citroen DS3 R5. No idea if it's as a course car or competing.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Meeke will also be at Condroz in a Citroen DS3 R5. No idea if it's as a course car or competing.
Do you not feel there is something in the Petter thing at all?

From memory Col Clarke is a personal friend of his as well as his role on the mic and he has hinted a few times

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
This is just a personal opinion and it's more questions than answers.

Why would Solberg jump ship from FIA World Rallycross to WRC in 2015 and not defend his title? Rallycross is everything WRC isn't - media friendly, sponsor friendly, gaining popularity and profile, plus has the potential to be huge in the USA as a lifestyle/extreme sport. Solberg could or would go from being "the man" to one of the pack if he re-joined WRC.

Citroen definitely need a quicker driver than Mad Ostberg for 2015; the writing looks on the wall for him. But what way do team finances work? The WRC team effort isn't getting the same level of financial backing as that goes into Loeb and the WTCC. So, if they sign Solberg would he be expected to bring sponsorship or money to the table? If this is the case, why would he?

Is Solberg the answer to Citroen's problems? His results in the latter years of WRC were nothing spectacular.

Citroen also clearly have a hankering to have a French driver back in the team. This is why they have invested in Chardonnet and Lefebvre. So, if they are going to have to pay for a driver in 2015, why not give Chardonnet a run? He's younger and I would argue hungrier and worth a shot.

Might be just coincidence that Citroen are going to Condroz at the same time as Solberg.

Colin Clark has his own media projects so you can never underestimate that he may be feeding the rumour mill in order to get more folowers, more page views, more downloads or more listens. He revels being the voice of rally! That said, I love listening to him. He's highly entertaining.

So, Iin short feel that Solberg would be a step backwards, rather than forwards for Citroen.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
In answer

1. Been there done that and needs to prove his salt in WRC again

2. the man from the UAE will fund his seat (as i presume he is funding meeke) rather than citroen

3. his results in the subaru s14 were mostly down to the car (as phil mills told us in the pub "that night") and then the privateer car is never the spec of the works cars so hard to put it to the big names in the full fat cars

4. maybe a 3 car team again

5. maybe so but it will be interesting to see if PS or Citroen run the c4 over the weekend

6. i know what you mean but his "silly season" guesstimates are never far away from the truth come the opening round

7. i think it would be the dream team for 2016 after a season of meeke/solberg for 2015 lol

can you tell i am a fan of petter :p

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Fair play, totally see where you are coming from and there's logic behind those replies. There's not a awful lot in the way of emerging rally driver talent either. The only other name I can think of is Lappi and VAG would be nuts to let him go.

This will add heat to your rumour mill. Yves Matton is co-driving for Daniel Elena at Condroz too. Looks like some rally - I'm nearly starting to look into getting flights!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
There are no young drivers that could jump straight in and get points in the bag consistently, Citroen need to get the team points up next season and Citroen themselves will maybe have to consider spending money on "old talent" to get them back up the standings as a "good brand for the retail market campaigns

Yves is citoren and Daniel is Loebs old navi presumably not doing a wild lot these days? Whats Elana driving

Sounds like a Citroen piss up, i mean end of year test session

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Last year Matton and Elena had a Xsara WRC. When Elena has driven, the most racy thing they have ever given him is a DS3 R3.

Sam.

RMS Regular
BzXaem-CIAEgYPT.jpg:large
And the comment to go along with it...

"Ready for Reunion! Just about 11 years after our FIA World Rally Championship title, Phil Mills comes out of retirement to join me in the car at the Rallye du Condroz in Belgium 1-2 November! Thanks to Citroën Racing, Yves Matton and Marc VDS Racing Team for making this happen!"

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
And the comment to go along with it...

"Ready for Reunion! Just about 11 years after our FIA World Rally Championship title, Phil Mills comes out of retirement to join me in the car at the Rallye du Condroz in Belgium 1-2 November! Thanks to Citroën Racing, Yves Matton and Marc VDS Racing Team for making this happen!"
Connection made @Cess

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
My take. Citroen are providing some technical support to the Marc VDS car which Solberg will drive. Say, like how Prodrive or M-Sport provided assistance over here to McGarrity, Higgins, McNulty, Boland, etc. I'm sceptical that there is more to this. See the bits in bold! Also, turns out Matton is a member of the motor club which organises the rally, hence the big Citroen turn out each year.

Dodgy translation below:

Petter Solberg with Citroen and Marc VDS at the rally of Condroz!

Thanks to the union of various forces vivid including the Marc VDS team who will be the sponsor of the operation, and Citroën Belux, the colours of Citroen will be again well represented in edge of Meuse the weekend of 1st and November 2, 2014.

Indeed, so that Yves Matton, always assisted by Daniel Elena, will try to make as well as in 2013, the 2003 Rally World Champion and fresh Champion of world of Rallycross 2014, Petter Solberg, discover Meanwhile Rallye du Condroz at the wheel of a brand to the double chevron WRC.

"I am pleased to find behind the wheel of a Citroen C4 WRC rally", smiling Petter. "I keep from the C4 of great memories in the Championship of World Rally. Today, I am focusing totally on rallycross. And do not forget that I have more played rally two years ago. It will take certainly a little time to find my marks. This will also be the case of my co-driver Phil Mills. Our last collaboration was already in 2010 and we will have to relearn how to write notes (laughs). I am pleased to be able to discover the atmosphere of the rally in Belgium, which is apparently quite unique. I have been able to have a taste in Mettet. I thus clientele celebrate my world title in rallycross. If I accepted with pleasure to this one-shot rally with Citroen, it is also because we have always had an excellent relationship with Citroen Racing."

For Yves Matton, the rally of Condroz has long been an unmissable event.

"And when we taste with a WRC, it's hard not to return each year with a high-performance car," smiled the Director of Citroen Racing. "I also remain a member of the Motor Club de Huy and I will never forget that it is the rally of Condroz that brought me this passion for motor sports in general and the rally in particular. I will make again teaming with Daniel Elena, which is obviously a sign of seriously... and good mood in the cockpit. The participation of Petter Solberg is part of the same philosophy: Petter is a true enthusiast and he will celebrate in Huy its title of Champion of world of Rallycross, conquered at the wheel of a Citroen, mark to which he is faithful for several years. And same goes also for the participation of Kris Meeke on a DS3 official R5. We will joint assistance and we will be all three at the start with the ambition to make us happy, to give pleasure to the spectators and to highlight the performance of the Citroen. »

Marc van der Straten-Ponthoz, the founder of the famous Marc VDS Racing Team, has reacted with enthusiasm to the project, and decided to become the main partner of the Citroën WRC pilot Petter Solberg and Yves Matton to the next rally of Condroz.

"The concept presented by the initiators of the project seduced me and I decided to participate in this adventure through the team Marc VDS.» This does not mean that we will launch us in rallies. This partnership will allow for increased awareness of the activities of our team on 4 wheels, receiving benefits currently lower than those provided by our programs on a motorcycle. Our presence at the rally of Condroz alongside prestigious drivers will be a beautiful card for the Marc VDS Racing Team. Thus, we are also perpetuating this tradition of support motor sport, as did my father before me."

On behalf of the Motor Club of Huy, Olivier Rocour looks forward to this year still present through various partners a poster of quality for the Condroz rally:

'The operation could see thanks to the dynamism of several stakeholders, including Yves Matton, and including also a TV partner who is the RTBF. ". With Motor Club of Huy, we hope each year power present a beautiful plateau and energize the rally of Condroz. Last year, we had climbed a beautiful operation with the exceptional coming of Sébastien Loeb. And this year, with Petter Solberg, we again a world-class initially driver since it is the first driver to be crowned World Champion in rally and rallycross

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
So Colin Clark saying tonight:

Ogier will not be at Hyundai and Nandan is said that the team will be Neuville plus one other from the current line up. Clark says he'd like to see Paddon.

M-Sport have the most settled driver line up. But we will see Tanak in a WRC car next season.

Abu Dhabi want results and have the money to buy results. He believes they have the money to get Ogier and its not beyond fantasy. But he will stay with Volkswagen as its the fastest and most reliable car.

Therefore he sees the Citroen driver line up as Meeke and Solberg.

Sam.

RMS Regular
Maybe Sordo along with Neuville at Hyundai? With the 3rd car between Hanninen/Paddon/Atko.

Evans will be at M-Sport. Mikko hasn't had the best results this year but I think there is still life left in him. I'd imagine we'll see Tanak in a Fiesta WRC one way or another.

VW as-is with maybe a 4th car (Lappi).

Citroen is probably the hardest to predict. Meeke's performance and attitude this year should secure him a seat. I'd like to see Petter but who knows. Would it be impossible to see the return of a Citroen Junior team to give the likes of Chardonnet a seat? If they do go Meeke/Solberg it'd be a nice platform to eventually replace them.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Clark said Lappi would get a run in Polo eventually, because VW would have to, as he's the brightest talent about.

Solberg hasn't won a rally since 2005. He's a gamble. But as we've discussed here, Clark says there just isn't anybody else who knows how to win.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Clark said Lappi would get a run in Polo eventually, because VW would have to, as he's the brightest talent about.

Solberg hasn't won a rally since 2005. He's a gamble. But as we've discussed here, Clark says there just isn't anybody else who knows how to win.
Marcusm bring back marcus lol

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Personally, I Reckon this is what solbergs after;

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116109

On the subject of a possible rally return, Solberg added: "My immediate focus is on going to the final two rounds of this year's [World RX] Championship and driving freely and without any pressure.

"As well as that, I'm working towards next year and defending the title.

He beat a works supported peugeot team this year, in what was essentially a private citroen. Point proved. Saying that, if he didn't get manufacturer support for global RX, would he take a works rally drive instead? I dunno. But it must break the bank trying to run your own team in either disipline.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Solberg has had his chance in the WRC.

Fully deserved his championship in 2003 but that was 11 years ago.

Stick to the RallyX, Petter.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.