WRC 2016 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KevM

RMS Regular
Citroen has confirmed World Rally Championship star Mads Ostberg will not form part of its plans in 2016 - but it is still in negotiations with Kris Meeke.

Ostberg is now almost certain to return to M-Sport for a full programme in a Ford Fiesta RS WRC next year.

1361438575.jpg
Citroen to sit out 2016 WRC season

A spokeswoman for Citroen told Autosport: "Mads wants a full programme in the World Rally Championship for next season and we are not able to offer that."

The spokesperson confirmed the potential for a part-programme of rallies in a DS 3 WRC, but was quick to add that this would not be in the same style of 2006, when Citroen assisted Kronos Racing in what was a barely-diminished, year-long factory effort.

"Doing some rallies next season is something we are thinking about, but that's really all there is to say about that," said the spokeswoman.

"Nothing is decided at all and it's really too early to be talking too much about this.

"For sure, it won't be anything like 2006, that's not what this is about."

Such a part-programme would keep Meeke involved in competition as well as developing the 2017 car, should the Northern Irishman remain at Citroen.

It is likely that PH Sport or another satellite team would run a DS 3 WRC on the limited programme next season - but with significant input from Citroen Racing.

The spokeswoman added: "We are in discussions with Kris at the moment."

Neither Meeke or Ostberg was available for comment when contacted byAutosport.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
He could be key to the development of the 2017 car. Is he not a mechanical engineer?

As @Cess has said Meeke is regarded as one of the best development drivers around, I'll never forget him on the isle of man on the c4 with Loeb.

Just read that Citroen are lookinng at doing a deal with Meeke to do part season and developing. This would be ode to get him onto events he isn't strong on and also China especially

If Citroen don't do a deal with Meeke they are bonkers

Sam.

RMS Regular
Also rumours that Mads could go back to Adapta for 2016. I'd say M-SPORT is more likely though.

Cess

RMS Staff
Now in the French motoring media. Must be true enough. PH Sport DS3 in 2016, new C3 WRC for 2017.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Very interesting day it has to be said. I'm torn as to what i'd like the outcome to be....

On one hand, I think that its the wrong time in Kris's career to have to take an enforced year out from a WRC entry. Maybe a few years ago, but not now imho. On the other hand, Citroen developing for a year would seem like a perfect fit for him. As said above, he's highly regarded in that development role. Tag on a 2017 deal of a full season drive of a brand new, competitive car that he's been developing personally..... and it does sound tempting.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
PH Sport DS3 in 2016, new C3 WRC for 2017.

A C3 with some massive 2017 wheel arches would be a pretty mean looking wee car.

Meeke is too old to lose a full year of competition, he needs to be doing events to stay sharp.
But he has always been a Citroen man, it would be hard for him to sour his relationship with them for a year in a different car (that still isn't going to beat the VW).

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Robert Kubica is now leaning towards staying in the <a href="#WRC op Twitter">#WRC</a> in 2016, over circuit racing. <a href="Kubica leaning towards WRC return - Autosport">https://t.co/uMcXUTT4ng</a> <a href="AUTOSPORT on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/4Ju7PQbD8f</a></p>&mdash; AUTOSPORT (@autosport) <a href="">November 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">****matiè World Rally Team has closed, but I will still be there with <a href="M-Sport (@MSportLtd) | Twitter">@MSportLtd</a>, pushing hard for another season in WRC.</p>&mdash; Lorenzo Bertelli (@****matie37) <a href="">November 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sam.

RMS Regular
His 2015 matt green livery but with gloss M-SPORT graphics would look great. Shame it'll never happen, I'd imagine M-SPORT will want to run more sponsorship than Lorenzo did

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.