1988 Porsche 924S

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Boot doesnt need to open but it needs to stay closed, we are meant to look in the boot for corrosion, but how many cars less than 10 years old have rot in the boot lol

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Boot doesnt need to open but it needs to stay closed, we are meant to look in the boot for corrosion, but how many cars less than 10 years old have rot in the boot lol

This thing is 25 years old mate! Ha!

Galvanised body though, so the only proper rusty bits were the sills which have now been cut out and replaced. :grinning:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Only thing is (forgive me, I'm not well up on Porker models lol) is it rear engined, boot being at the front? If so, it would need to open to inspect brake pipes ect

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Only thing is (forgive me, I'm not well up on Porker models lol) is it rear engined, boot being at the front? If so, it would need to open to inspect brake pipes ect

The 924, probably the most hated Porsche model ever, is front engined! :grinning:

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
image.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
@pablo and I spent this morning doing a bit of work on the car.

During the week my mechanic welded parts of the sills that weren't in great shape, so Pablo got his grinder to work and tidied a few of the welds up and we then use some ProWorx Elite filler to go over these areas, sanded them down and applied a few good layers of textured black stone guard.

The boot doesn't open, the rear number plate lights don't work and the fog light isn't working, so those are on the agenda this week before MOT. @pablo had a look and found some wires that had all melted together, and a fuse has blown. Unfortunately the fuses are not the usual type so we'll need to order some. Not sure what Pablo has planned to get the boot working!

We also sanded some rusty bits around the number plate lights, arches and front valence, then coated them with some etch primer. I'll get some paint mixed during the week and we'll paint all the treated areas before getting stuck into the car with the buffer and cleaning samples I have from @Morgan@50cal .

A few pics:

Driver's side sill:

Passenger side sill:

[URL=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Woodcutter/media/79609609-7A6C-4512-8DE1-5A788214691E_zpsvafw8fqi.jpg.html][/URL]

Front valence and rear sanded and primed:

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
unreal how clean this car is underneath. its a diamond in the rough alright once it gets a good clean it will be awesome.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Change the fuel filter as well. Also @Woodcutter I can't believe you are only 'thinking' about changing the oil and filter :p

If you have hydraulic tappets it can take a few miles of driving for them to fully pump up again, so they may whiten right down.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
We will get it through MOT first and then look at servicing, belts etc. :grinning:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
We will get it through MOT first and then look at servicing, belts etc. :grinning:

He has no faith Paul, disappointing!!

This scrapheap is getting a fair heap of attention, sorta reminds me of Graham's Astra Oil Burner thread where 7 million members commented on how lovely it looked! :p

I hope the wee yoke makes it to the MOT centre lads! Good luck....

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
It'll be fine, if I can build a sh1t old ford you bais can build a Porsche :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.