F1 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I am a Lewis fan, but it must be horrible to be standing on the podium and have the crowd "Booo" like they did Nico

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Hearing Lewis crying on the team radio that he didn't want to play anymore made my afternoon, I don't think it was intentional, I mean who would intentionally clip their front wing into a rival and potentially ruin their own race when the stakes are so high?

unfortunate for hamilton but meh, that's motorsport.

Great result for Ricardo, top drive

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
Hearing Lewis crying on the team radio that he didn't want to play anymore made my afternoon, I don't think it was intentional, I mean who would intentionally clip their front wing into a rival and potentially ruin their own race when the stakes are so high?

unfortunate for hamilton but meh, that's motorsport.

Great result for Ricardo, top drive

Could be bull but...

IMG_499841113575493.jpeg

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI

Not bull at all.

Lewis wanted to retire today for the simple reason that his car was lacking so much downforce that he was struggling to catch those in-front of him never mind challenge for points.

Why bother trundle round & collect no points when he could save the milage on all the parts?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Pretty uneventful, apart from Nico deciding to do a Prost/Schumacher on Lewis, taking him out rather than racing him.

Awesome by Ric! Go Aus, bye bye Vettel :cool:

Great drive by Bottas too, love to see Williams doing well and Bottas seems to be a great guy. Vettel and Raikkonen did well too in fairness.

Harsh penalty for Alonso, but hey, rules are rules. Put up a decent fight.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Lewis wanted to stop because he was so far behind by the time he got out of the pit, there was no point staying out. A bit moany, maybe, but really no point circulating without any hope of even getting into points. And easy to see how he just wanted to get out of the car and bash something, hard (preferably Nico's head).

I know Merc said they were hoping for a safety car, but on a dry day that was never really going to happen.

To be honest, hard to think it was deliberate by Nico, not really in character. But he did have everything to win from taking Lewis out, and nothing to loose. Not racing anybody else but Lewis, everyone else is so far behind. Getting another 15-25 points on Lewis could make all the difference. Worst case, if they both went off, it would be status quo. Nothing to loose for Nico, but everything to win.

This is what Prost and Schumacher used to do back in the bad old days. But this is 2014. If Nico really did cause a crash deliberately, then that is really bad for everyone.

Actually surprised there was no investigation. The driver telemetry should show pretty clearly who did what.

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just had a read of that BBC article linked above. It actually says Mercedes confirm Lewis' version of that "conversation".

If this is true, and Nico deliberately caused a crash to gain an advantage in the championship, then surely there has to be consequences for Nico... If nothing else, by Merc... But FIA should look into it too...

McKay

RMS Regular
It still think it was just a racing incident. There was more chance of Nico loosing his wing then Lewis getting a puncture.
Take Alonso loosing a lump of his front wing against Vettles rear tyre on the last lap for instance, pure racing incident but no punture for vettle and new wing for Alonso if it wasn't the last lap.
So what's the difference between the two? Think this crap of Nico doing it on purpose is just a load of hype!!!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Think this crap of Nico doing it on purpose is just a load of hype!!!

I thought the same, but he actually said himself in the Merc driver briefing afterwards that he did it on purpose "to prove a point".

Mercedes have confirmed this version as well as being correct.

It also happened on the first lap, not when fighting for position towards the end. And the whole thing was eminently avoidable.

And, of course, it massively helped Nico in the championship. Sure, he could not have been sure the outcome would have been what it was, but he could only benefit from trying to take Lewis out. Nothing to lose for Nico.

That makes it very different from a "racing incident".

This is what Prost/Schumacher would have done without hesitation. Thought we were past this these days, the FIA came down pretty hard on Schumacher when he tried this sort of thing in the early days of his come-back. Guess everyone thought Nico is a nice guy and would never do something unsporting on purpose.

Guess we were all wrong.

Maybe time to have a look at that Monaco incident again as well, Nico parking up his car on track and disrupting Lewis' qualifying.

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Take Alonso loosing a lump of his front wing against Vettles rear tyre on the last lap for instance, pure racing incident but no punture for vettle and new wing for Alonso if it wasn't the last lap.
So what's the difference between the two? Think this crap of Nico doing it on purpose is just a load of hype!!!

Alonso hit vettels with the front edge of the wing on the flat back/face of vettel tyre. Which is always less likely to puncture than rosberg catching the edge of his wing on Hamiltons side wall.

pablo

RMS Moderator
It smacked of deliberate while watching it.

Nico should be sacked for that. I'll bet he done the runoff on Monaco deliberately too.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
LOL if Mercedes sacked Nico & hired the fastest German on the grid… Nico Hulkenberg!

Monza will be brilliant.

Another fine drive by Valtteri Bottas today, my driver of the season so far. Set for big things.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Come on @coops! Bottas is great, and love to see Williams up there, but surely Ricciardo has to get the "driver of the season" accolade, taking a limp RB to the top spot several times and rubbing Vettel's face in horse manure in the process :grinning:

Actually, the last point alone should be enough :p

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
There's just something about Bottas & the way he drives. Hasn't been a peep out of him in all his time at Williams considering the amount of times he has been asked to let someone else drive in FP1 but mostly it's because he's a Finn.

We all love the Flying Finn's :grinning:

I think McLaren are trying to get a big name driver to lead next year, Alonso or Vettel probably.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well, Button will be out from McL for sure (y)

They are clearly putting everything into next year's car with Honda, will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Well done Daniel. I didn't like Nico before and now I hate him even more! It was nice to hear people cheering for Vettel and Lewis again! Will write about my experience and share some photos once I am back! P.s. @Marc.W I
got you the red bull thsirt as requested :p

Attachments

• BG5B3422~2.jpg
    BG5B3422~2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 39
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.