F1 2024

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I think he’s without doubt one of the very best, but do you think hamilton without 7 drivers championships would have been pushed around like he was by Verstappen?

I just think he lacks that killer edge, having said that if he’s in the best car and its a fair fight he’d still beat nearly everyone.

Great for the grid though, should mix the top teams up big time.
I think the big thing is that he's mature enough to understand that even if you don't win, points matters in the overall results (something Max seemed to struggle with in 2021 especially).

Taking a calculated risk rather than taking the approach of let me pass or we both don't finish (like cheats like Senna) isn't lacking a killer edge, it's more actually being a fair racer, focused on racing rather than bumper cars. Similar to Alonso in fairness.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Really interesting move in my opinion

As others have said for me it feels like he believes Mercedes aren’t going to get this right and that Ferrari will especially with some of the future rule changes coming

Remember he did something similar going from McLaren to Mercedes and look how that worked out

Plus as others have said I think he has mentioned in that past that every F1 driver wants to drive for Ferrari at some point

I’m torn - I’m a Hamilton fan and have been since he started but have never been a Ferrari fan

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Worth remembering nothing actually formally confirmed yet.

After 2pm today seems to be when we will know going by BBC.

Ferrari with Fred in charge do look to be on the up.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Me and the missus have already been trying to predict the silly season musical chairs. I'm sticking my neck out and think it will be Albon in the spare Merc seat.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
After spending his whole career with Mercedes the move to Ferrari seems strange.
I'd back Merc to build a title winning car ahead of Ferrari, so he isn't going for performance, and I can't see that money would be a motivation for him.
I'll not believe it until I see an official statement.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Haven't Merc lost a lot of their top brass in the techy departments to other teams?

Do we know who is getting the boot from Ferrari? Carlos I guess.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Seems like a romantic bucket list type move to me, unless he knows something we don't. Hard to justify moving to Ferrari with the goal of winning a championship, all you have to do is look at the strategy side of things. Should be interesting all the same.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sounds like another click bait rumour. He just extended with Mercedes. Doesn't make a lot of sense to switch just as Mercedes appear to be turning a corner and Ferrari going backwards last season.

Also weird announcing something like that now, at the start of a season. If it's true it would just make everything really awkward for everyone surely.

We'll know soon enough I guess.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Lewis extended with Mercedes for one year with the option of another in 2025. He’s obviously decided not to exercise that option.

Fair chance Carlos will end up at Audi. His Dad has just left their now defunct Dakar team so would’ve been an easy negotiation.

Big call for Mercedes next year. Who’s available? Is Albon really up to it?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
If Lewis did leave then Mercedes would be all over Alonso. Pretty much the only serious option. Oh the irony 😅

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I think they will try to get Piastri or Lando. Albon is doing well at Williams but I don’t think he’s good enough for that seat really.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
They won’t get Max or Charles.

Would be a something if they went for Fernando but I’m more interested in how Oscar gets on this year.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Screenshot_20240201_150204_Facebook.jpg

Toto called a team meeting this morning apparently.