So it's been confirmed no more tax disc from oct 2014 we up date page 2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Either way, it will be interesting to see how olwyn and aled etc manage when all our business gets shipped over to Swansea. Hopefully retention policy gets rationalised with the rest of the UK too, sorry coleraine folks.

scub

Banned
wonder will the cops be taking any heed of whether a car is taxed or not now ?
or will there be an influx of dvlni clamper vans ??

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Nothing has been confirmed....for Northern Ireland.

The only one benefit Ive seen so far...is once we SORN a car, we dont have to re-do it every year. That's already happening now.

No doubt the entire system here will just be a **** up. They'll remove the discs from circulation, but still leave it as an offence of failure to display. They'll have a field day issuing fines.

jincam

RMS Regular
Drives
Gt coupe
I couldnt care less about tax as we get stroked either way paying rediculous prices for crappy roads any word on them privatising the mot here instead of the mot nazis we have

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
I couldnt care less about tax as we get stroked either way paying rediculous prices for crappy roads any word on them privatising the mot here instead of the mot nazis we have

Agreed but I would like to pay monthly instead of near 500 quid a go each year.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

MOT like England would only result in even more poorly maintained cars.

The MOT here even though stricter in almost all respects, lets face it is still a piece of piss to pass if you try at all.

If you fail, generally speaking you deserve to fail ( perhaps apart from that totally ridiculous headlamp washer rule !!! )

56oval

RMS Regular
Nothing has been confirmed....for Northern Ireland.

The only one benefit Ive seen so far...is once we SORN a car, we dont have to re-do it every year. That's already happening now.

No doubt the entire system here will just be a **** up. They'll remove the discs from circulation, but still leave it as an offence of failure to display. They'll have a field day issuing fines.

I see it being a f*ck up from the start, i just received a letter from colraine for a tax reminder, even though its tax exempt ( you still have to display) and the new pre 1960 no mot has been applied here, the asked to produce a current mot certificate to be able to tax it???????
Doesnt surprise me as when they rolled it out in the across the water i asked over here and the mot centre and on the phone both came back to say it wasnt being implemented in N.I, roll on 6 months and a letter drops through the door, "congratulations youve won a lifetime of no mot for your car" :confounded:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I do wonder what cops are going to look for at checkpoints now. Usually they looked to see if there were any terrorists hiding behind the tax disc.

But now ?

TBF it was a sort of easy indicator that the vehicle may be half legal. At VCP's now, no disc will surely make things harder for them, and slower for us.

They are less common these days, but they still happen.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I do wonder what cops are going to look for at checkpoints now. Usually they looked to see if there were any terrorists hiding behind the tax disc.

But now ?

TBF it was a sort of easy indicator that the vehicle may be half legal. At VCP's now, no disc will surely make things harder for them, and slower for us.

They are less common these days, but they still happen.

the police should be catching criminals not looking for out of date tax discs. ANPR, tax cameras and mobile vans should be taking care of that.

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
OP
Turbokid89
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
Thought I would bump this up with this post I found on face book to help people understand what is happening

Anyone still using a paper tax disc after this date will be breaking the law. Instead, vehicle owners will be required to register their car either at a Post Office branch or on the DVLA website, with all vehicle tax details to be stored electronically.

The new ruling was announced in the Autumn Statement last year, and failure to comply could lead to fines for car owners. Enforcement cameras will be present on the roads, using number plate recognition to establish whether or not a vehicle is taxed. If the correct tax has not been paid, the details of the vehicle's registered keeper will be passed to the DVLA, who will issue a fine.

Drivers can check whether or not their vehicle is registered at the Vehicle enquiry website, and will continue to receive renewal reminders when their tax is about to expire.

The most likely to be affected by the new regulations are those who are buying and selling cars. While unexpired tax discs are currently transferred with the sale of a vehicle, this will not be the case as of October 1st. For many car buyers, a tax disc with an expiry date months down the line is a current consideration when choosing a new vehicle: however, the new ruling will mean that they will have to tax the vehicle immediately after purchase, or run the risk of being caught driving an untaxed vehicle.

Philip Hankinson, director of the UK’s leading tyre distributor; Tyre Giant says of the change, "The new ruling has a huge impact on those buying and selling cars, as vehicle tax cannot be transferred to the new owner. It is important that all car owners register their details and pay their tax via the new system to avoid being hit with hefty fines."

This does not mean, however, that those selling a vehicle will lose out. If a vehicle is sold with unexpired tax, the seller will automatically receive a refund for all full calendar months remaining when the change of ownership document has been sent to the DVLA and processed.

The aim of the new tax laws is to streamline services, with predictions that the change will also save UK businesses millions of pounds in administrative costs every year.

Cess

RMS Staff
Tax not going with a car is a total bollox. I can't understand how the system of having to refund and reapply for car tax is simplier than just letting it run on with the car.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Preview.jpeg

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
So just to clarify, if you sell a car with a few months tax still on it, you'll receive a cheque for the remainder regardless of whether the disc is left on the car or not?

They can make more money if you have to reapply for new tax when you buy a new car rather than transferring it over

Exactly. They'll gain millions on the partial months lost given that a car has to be taxed from the beginning of a month.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.