So it's been confirmed no more tax disc from oct 2014 we up date page 2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I just bought a car with Tax till December , and using the link in the other thread it says I'm taxed till December , am I taxed till December or do I rip up the disc and pay for new tax ?

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
OP
Turbokid89
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
You are taxed till December but come October you don't need to display it and when your tax runs up in December you just tax it again

But if you had bought the car on the 2nd October you must tax it as off the new law

Hope this helps you

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
You are taxed till December but come October you don't need to display it and when your tax runs up in December you just tax it again

But if you had bought the car on the 2nd October you must tax it as off the new law

Hope this helps you
Thanks for clearing that up. Also , I wont bother buying a fancy disc holder now !

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
OP
Turbokid89
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda
You still get paper reminders in the post I have read some where plus what I do is put it in my phone as a reminder a month before it's up incase I do forget

Gavlar

RMS Regular
They'll announce a nice tax price hike in the Autumn Statement now too, bet my life on it lol

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
They'll announce a nice tax price hike in the Autumn Statement now too, bet my life on it lol

I can see it going DD only TBH, that way they can increase it by 'only' £2 or £3 a month. Like when they started to price petrol in litres rather than gallons, why when all other motoring measurements are still done in imperial? The answer is simple £1.29 a litre sounds less than almost £6 a gallon

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I'm all for convenience but if these systems are so streamlined does that mean you will get a whole year tax even if you don't tax your car on 1st of any month? Electronic system could just as easily calculate a figure for how many days refund is due too, rather than full calendar months. I can't be arsed reading their bull****. The last and only time I ever sent for a refund I posted it a week before the end of the month first class recorded. They didn't process it for over a week and guess what, I lost another month from the refund. Fooking sharks. Should have refunded based on clear post mark, not their incompetence...

Where are the admin savings going too? Certainly not to defer any planned VED rise in the next budget I'd imagine.

Now to ditch the MOT disc too!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I can see it going DD only TBH, that way they can increase it by 'only' £2 or £3 a month. Like when they started to price petrol in litres rather than gallons, why when all other motoring measurements are still done in imperial? The answer is simple £1.29 a litre sounds less than almost £6 a gallon

Most likely an EU (and most places that use km instead of miles) thing as on the continent/austraila etc fuel economy is expressed as litres per 100.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
So just to clarify, if you sell a car with a few months tax still on it, you'll receive a cheque for the remainder regardless of whether the disc is left on the car or not?
Not quite. Hidden in the new regs is that you will NOT get your refund until the next owner has taxed it. Or something like that.

Total scam. Any one of us would be hauled up if we instigated anything remotely as inherently extortionate.
"Fraud by deception" is still a crime, right?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Total scam. Any one of us would be hauled up if we instigated anything remotely as inherently extortionate.
"Fraud by deception" is still a crime, right?

Everything tax related is criminal extortion or fraud.

But as with all of the biggest crimes...for some reason it's easy for them to get away with it, and they make challenging or fighting against it illegal too. Then try and make out you are the criminal.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Car tax should be abolished and put onto fuel. Its not a fair system when a rep doing 30k+ miles a year in a 320d pays only £20 to the upkeep of the roads.

I totally agree, it's an unfair system especially when it's based on emissions. I only do around 6k per year and it pisses me off that I pay the same as someone doing 4x that. Someone putting out significantly more co2 pays the same?

johnm

RMS Regular
They'll gain millions on the partial months lost given that a car has to be taxed from the beginning of a month.

Thats exactly it! It's only full months.
You sell a car middle of the month, you loose out on a half a month refund, and the new person has to tax for the full month, and loosing half of it straight away.

That is ******* robbery no matter what way you cook it!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.