So it's been confirmed no more tax disc from oct 2014 we up date page 2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Thats exactly it! It's only full months.
You sell a car middle of the month, you loose out on a half a month refund, and the new person has to tax for the full month, and loosing half of it straight away.

That is ******* robbery no matter what way you cook it!
sure its always been like that. I picked the focus up on 30th Sept and had to tax it from the start of Sept. Also lost a month on the fiesta as it wasn't sent off until 1st Oct

johnm

RMS Regular
I'd be into the office worn it and then back down a couple of days later to tax it from Oct.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
can see most deals being done on the last day of the month lol.
More than an "LOL", I can see a lot of dealers esp. s/h opening for a 24hr stint on the last/first days and being dead the rest of the month.
In all honesty I expect to see a lot of small under-£2k part time dealers/ s/h traders shutting up shop. There is no provision for them at all and you know what people are like for buying cars at £800 and expecting 6 months tax on it.

The so called "car tax" has pretty much nothing to do with upkeep of the roads.
"Vehicle Excise Duty" since that vilest of vile country-destroying tramp changed it.

Or the date of purchase being stated as a few days/weeks earlier to the end of the previous month?
Won't work for getting tax refund as it will have to be applied for before the end of the previous month and will not be granted until car is retaxed by new owner.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
People will still need cheap motors. They're not going to stop buying them because there's no tax included - they'll have no other option than to buy them without tax. All it will do is reduce the sale prices.

Some merit in all sales peaking towards start/end of the month though. Folk will queue at a petrol station 30 miles out of their way to save £4 on water'd down pish, so it's very likely that they'll wait until 1st of the month before buying a car in order to save a tenner. Gotta love NI.

jincam

RMS Regular
Drives
Gt coupe
So in a way i can just steal someones reg off their car who I know will definitely tax their car and nobody will stop me because the cops will be away sorting out a riot in belfast or a rucus in burger king thinking that the tax cameras sitting at the side of the road are doing their job? Plus i dont even need to worry about having a fake disc on the window? Sounds fantastic, if I got the right colour and make of car im cloning i wouldnt even have to worry about it being clamped

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I can't see what every ones moaning about, very little has changed. If you change your car in the middle of the month you will loose half a months tax on your new car and half a month on your old one exactly the same as it has been for years. No you wont be able to buy or sell a car with tax on it, it's not going to cost anyone a sale I doubt it will even make a difference to the selling price either, it's not as if they can buy a different car with tax on it. And as for saying people will clone a car, with tax on it, well if you know someone dodgy who will make a plate with out you having the log book and required ID, then theres nothing stopping you doing it with the present system. While I can see little benefit in the new system, I can see no real disadvantage over the old system.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So in a way i can just steal someones reg off their car who I know will definitely tax their car and nobody will stop me because the cops will be away sorting out a riot in belfast or a rucus in burger king thinking that the tax cameras sitting at the side of the road are doing their job? Plus i dont even need to worry about having a fake disc on the window? Sounds fantastic, if I got the right colour and make of car im cloning i wouldnt even have to worry about it being clamped

All the cops will be doing speed checks, so you may get caught....but the chances are slim.

I drove through Dromore earlier this afternoon and they were out with the speed gun. Why it took 6 cops and 3 cars for a speed trap is beyond me though !!!

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I can't see what every ones moaning about, very little has changed. If you change your car in the middle of the month you will loose half a months tax on your new car and half a month on your old one exactly the same as it has been for years.

Wrong.
For years people have been buying second hand cars with a balance of tax still left on them, which was transferable to the new owner automatically and it just ran on until it's expiry with no administration, re-application or partial month loss involved.

The government made no extra money over and above the initial tax payment of whoever paid for the disc.

Now a change of keeper ensures that the government benefits from both the new keeper and the previous owner to some degree regardless of what day of the month the sale is made as the new buyer has to apply for a new disc (which runs from the start of the given month) and the previous owner only gets refunded from the first of the following month.

If the sale is made and paperwork is processed later in the month, the new buyer loses out more and vice versa if it's processed earlier in the month.

Either way the government are making millions from the sale of second hand cars where they weren't before.

I don't know any way to simplify that further.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Wrong.
For years people have been buying second hand cars with tax still left on them, which is transferable to the new owner automatically and it just ran on until it's expiry with no administration, re-application or partial month loss involved.

The government made no extra money over and above the initial tax payment of whoever paid for the disc.

Now a change of keeper ensures that the government benefits from both the new keeper and the previous owner to some degree regardless of what day of the month the sale is made as the new buyer has to apply for a new disc (which runs from the start of the given month) and the previous owner only gets refunded from the first of the following month.

If the sale is made and paperwork is processed later in the month, the new buyer loses out more and vice versa if it's processed earlier in the month.

Either way the government are making millions from the sale of second hand cars where they weren't before.

I don't know any way to simplify that further.

I have never ever sold, or bought a car with tax on it nor has anyone I personally know. I would say the majority of people reclaim the remaining months

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Coming to think of it, out of all the cars I've bought in my time I think just one had an expired disc on it.

Never bought a car that someone had removed the disc and applied for a refund.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I always left the tax on any car I sold.

Maybe that's because I'm not a miserable b*****d.

Not reclaiming it is like standing in the middle of the street throwing a way fivers. When I sold the Fiesta I got £150 back on the tax, which meant it only cost me £70 to tax the Focus. I don't see why I should pay to tax someone else car because they are to much of a miserable b******d to pay for it themselves. Or pay for the dealers christmas party when they reclaimed the tax before selling the car on

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
What way does a reg transfer work?
Can I still do it in the tax office, was gonna scoot up the mara and do one.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Not reclaiming it is like standing in the middle of the street throwing a way fivers. When I sold the Fiesta I got £150 back on the tax, which meant it only cost me £70 to tax the Focus. I don't see why I should pay to tax someone else car because they are to much of a miserable b******d to pay for it themselves. Or pay for the dealers christmas party when they reclaimed the tax before selling the car on

If I had gone to see a car where the seller had applied for a refund on the balance of the tax it would have been a bad first impression for me TBH.
IE - this seller is obviously is a penny pincher and would make me wonder what other corners have been cut in the upkeep of said vehicle.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Coming to think of it, out of all the cars I've bought in my time I think just one had an expired disc on it.

Never bought a car that someone had removed the disc and applied for a refund.

Lucky you my first car was a hand me down from my mum and she reclaimed the tax on it before she gave me it lol

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
If I had gone to see a car where the seller had applied for a refund on the balance of the tax it would have been a bad first impression.
IE - this seller is obviously is a penny pincher and would make me wonder what other corners have been cut in the upkeep of said vehicle.

Yea well if you don't buy it the next person will :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What way does a reg transfer work?
Can I still do it in the tax office, was gonna scoot up the mara and do one.

Considering the tax office closed for all vehicle licensing over a month ago...I suspect not.

It's either DVLA Swansea, or if you're incredibly lucky, some Post Offices might be able to take the forms from you.
Some Post Offices were to take on additional stuff over basic stuff like renewing tax. But not sure how much those extra tasks were, or how many post offices.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
I see the camera cars are still out on force, they didn't loose their jobs. Oh wait they are there just to collect revenue to line the pockets of our scum politicians.

KGRANT

RMS Regular
Hey all, Just wondering if you could give me some tax advice.

Basically, this week I bought a new second hand car - sent the V5 away to Swansea (kept the green slip for new keeper) and made my changes to have it insured by my insurance company /paid and booked for it's M.O.T yesterday, got the 15th, as the current MOT certificiate is only valid until the Saturday 6th September and there was no previous tax disc on it/sold with the car (I checked and it ran out on 31.07.14).

Therefore, in order to drive it legally I went to get my tax it today (thought as this was due at the end of this month anyways would be no issue) but when I went to apply for a tax disc in the post office they said 'no' as it is too close to the MOT and as I haven't received my new V5 Logbook as yet?! FFS Joke!

Should I not be able to use my current MOT that is about to expire (on the 6th) /insurance cover/ V5 slip and take that to the Post Office? What do I need to do? Wait on the logbook/ get a full years MOT and then would they issue me a tax disc?

Argh! I'm so stuck on what to do! I'm just wondering what's going to happen as I don't think I can not drive the car next week as need it for work etc.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.