Who is the most hated on the road?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
This thread strongly needs to be merged with the 'things that annoy your head' thread.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Has more road presence than an Audi though.

Come on now, really?

nissan-primera-slx-05.jpg

a5.jpg

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Audis.

If I went out of my way to constantly comment on the cars that don't float my boat I wouldn't have time to do anything else in life.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Lane hoppers in rush hour traffic travelling from Belfast back to Bangor.

It's dangerous, and you never gain ANY advantage. Also those that confuse your two car lengths for a space to jump into. :mad:

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
car manufactures:
hate all of vag group, two people I know brought a vag car each and both were bundles of *****. this has put me off how "reliable" vag cars are supposed to be.

car mods:
each to their own and all that, gives me a laugh when the car looks really bad.

bad drivers:
people doing **** they shouldnt be doing. eg on phone, speeding, causing big traffic ques, drink/drug drivers. this could end up being a big list but you get the jist of it.

bit off topic but if someone caused an accident regardless of speed because they undertook someone on a motorway. who would be blamed, the car who was speeding in the overtaking lane or the car who is going equally as fast but undertakes the other car?

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I'm surprised at the lack of hatred towards those with ill lane discipline in this thread. I have a severe hatred of those that drive in the overtaking lane. Easily one of the worst phenomena in the roads of Northern Ireland. There seriously needs to be an advertising campaign to educate people on use of driving lanes and overtaking lanes.

I still haven't figured out if it's lack of education/knowledge or just the 'thou shalt not pass' mentality and tbh I suspect it's the latter, in which case educating drivers is pointless. At 5-5:30 the quickest way up the M2 hill is the inner driving lane because the overtaking lanes (there are 2 of them) contain 100's of ****ing morons. Surprisingly, lane discipline gets 100 times better after the ballymena exit, it may be coincidence or just the reduction in traffic volume but it's very noticible.

Last edited:

Sweet Fantastic

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche Cayman S
I'm surprised at the lack of hatred towards those with ill lane discipline in this thread. I have a severe hatred of those that drive in the overtaking lane. Easily one of the worst phenomena in the roads of Northern Ireland. There seriously needs to be an advertising campaign to educate people on use of driving lanes and overtaking lanes.

I still haven't figured out if it's lack of education/knowledge or just the 'thou shalt not pass' mentality and tbh I suspect it's the latter, in which case educating drivers is pointless. At 5-5:30 the quickest way up the M2 hill is the inner driving lane because the overtaking lanes (there are 2 of them) contain 100's of ****ing morons. Surprisingly, lane discipline gets 100 times better after the ballymena exit, it may be coincidence or just the reduction in traffic volume but it's very noticible.

Spot on......(y)

I personally think its due to the lack of motorways over here, on the mainland you are conditioned to move over to the empty lane on you left as soon as it is safe to do so........
A lot of drivers here seem to think, that once you are in your lane, you stay in it................baffles me!!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Spot on......(y)

I personally think its due to the lack of motorways over here, on the mainland you are conditioned to move over to the empty lane on you left as soon as it is safe to do so........
A lot of drivers here seem to think, that once you are in your lane, you stay in it................baffles me!!

I can't say I've really noticed it much over here tbh. I always move into the left lane when possible unless I'm turning off of course, that's just the way I was taught and is just second nature. Down south is much much worse!! It's just a bloody free for all down there lol

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
bit off topic but if someone caused an accident regardless of speed because they undertook someone on a motorway. who would be blamed, the car who was speeding in the overtaking lane or the car who is going equally as fast but undertakes the other car?

Depends on twhat has happened before the 'undertake' Is the driving lane just moving faster or was the maneuver an 'undertake'. From a member of the traffic branch on the site (another traffic branch member done a paint drawing to clarify it too but I cannot find it anywhere):

You can undertake if a vehicle is turning right, or if traffic in the outside lanes is travelling slower than that of the first lane.

There is no offence for travelling at the speed limit in lane one.

The offence is "failing to drive in the nearside lane", as I regularly dish these out as it's a bone I like to pick.

And an undertake is basically the opposite of the overtake. You must pull out into the "slow" lane, undertake vehicle(s) then move out into the same lane again.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
Depends on twhat has happened before the 'undertake' Is the driving lane just moving faster or was the maneuver an 'undertake'. From a member of the traffic branch on the site (another traffic branch member done a paint drawing to clarify it too but I cannot find it anywhere):

the road was empty, no need to come into the overtaking lane at all.

And an undertake is basically the opposite of the overtake. You must pull out into the "slow" lane, undertake vehicle(s) then move out into the same lane again.

the driver was already in the "slow" lane then overtook a driver in the overtaking lane. is that even still undertaking? :confounded:

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
the driver was already in the "slow" lane then overtook a driver in the overtaking lane. is that even still undertaking? :confounded:

My understanding is, no it is not an undertake in that situation.
Think that was clarified in the thread that davecoupe has quoted from.

An undertake is the exact opposite of an overtake. You have to be in the right hand lane, pull into the the left to pass the car and then back in to the right lane to be classed as an undertake.
The grey area is the distance that this has to happen to be classed as an undertake.

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
Operating within the speed limit, cars in the inside lane moving faster than cars in the outside lane are allowed to pass.

Moving from the outside lane to the inside lane to pass a vehicle then back to the outside lane is an undertake which is not allowed.

The outside lane is for overtaking only, you are supposed to move from the inside lane to the outer lane then back to the inside lane once you have saftely passed the vehicle being overtaken. Sitting in the outside lane is not allowed unless overtaking even if you are traveling at 70mph.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Audis.

If I went out of my way to constantly comment on the cars that don't float my boat I wouldn't have time to do anything else in life.

Alright, we get it.

I don't hate all Audi's.

Here's the way I see it.

This is a VW Passat in a Tuxedo

This is an Audi. I like this one.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I don't hate all Audi's.

Here's the way I see it.

This is a VW Passat in a Tuxedo

This is an Audi. I like this one.

You're thinking of the older A4 and Passats (99>08) which shared a lot of parts. That's a B8 A5.

What's wrong with Passats anyway? Great cars.

I love old Audis too but in terms of comfort, build quality and overall functionality there's not many cars on the market in that price range that tick all the boxes that modern Audis do.

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
I hate the people who say "oh I drive an Audi A4" all smugly like they've just bought the rights to look down on me. When in reality its a fresh out of England '03 170k fake s-line kitted dose. Or people who get one as a company car and think it's the shizz. When its just a bottom of the range model.

On the other hand a man in work was boasting about how quick his new Audi was and if I want a run in it. I made my excuses and quickly left to go home. And when walking out through the car park there was the most stunning blue RS4 saloon:oops:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Until this thread I hadn't actually realised that they were in any way desirable lol.

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
You're thinking of the older A4 and Passats (99>08) which shared a lot of parts. That's a B8 A5.

What's wrong with Passats anyway? Great cars.

I love old Audis too but in terms of comfort, build quality and overall functionality there's not many cars on the market in that price range that tick all the boxes that modern Audis do.

Yes you are correct there, most of the other cars that offer similar comfort, build quality and overall functionality are considerable less expensive.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Horses for courses.

Rattly French / Jap interior or and Audi S-Line interior with all the toys... I know where I'd rather be sitting.

A lot of chips need brushed off a lot of shoulders it would seem. Cringey...

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
Horses for courses.

Rattly French / Jap interior or and Audi S-Line interior with all the toys... I know where I'd rather be sitting.

A lot of chips need brushed off a lot of shoulders it would seem. Cringey...

My everyday car is a Mondeo 2.2 TDi Titanium X Sport, my mate has an Audi A4 S Line the same age. I have much more in the line of kit than he does, more space, just a good on the road and had less breakdowns. Not that Im saying mondeos are the way to go but if you need a family car I would have one before an A4 any day.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.