1988 Porsche 924S - project break it for cash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Needed both :grinning:

So freed the trailing arms from the beam to make life easier when manhandling the beam.

IMG_20141011_100513.jpg

Then removed the beam with some persuasion from Mr crowbar. Next up the box was removed. Surprisingly handy actually in the end.

Can see the areas needing attention. Looks a lot worse than it is. Session with a wire brush attachment on the drill will clean it up OK then get it treated and sealed.

Before that can happen though the fuel tank needs to come out which is going to be a laugh as some of the fuel lines look a bit tricky to work with.

Last edited:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
you like your breeze blocks. Not the best thing to use I'd imagine

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
you like your breeze blocks. Not the best thing to use I'd imagine

I use breeze blocks all the time with the Lotus as well, and large wood blocks. Nothing wrong with that. Hard to get more stable supports, better than some axle stands I have come across for sure, especially with all four wheels off.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
not much happening atm. brought the rear axle and trailing arms up home to work on during the week. Heur of a thing to manhandle!

Plans for it are:

- lower it a couple of nicks on the torsion bars
- polybush the trailing arm mounts
- polybush the beam mounts
- clean up the serious alloy/steel corrosion (that nasty white crap). All the bolts and surfaces are ruined with it. Will rethread all the nuts, and run the die over the bolts rather than replace them.
- fit new handbrake shoes and discs to each side
- strip and paint the calipers
- refit with new pads

By the time thats done the boot floor area should be painted and sealed so the beam can go back in. Ill leave the trailing arms off until the fuel tank is sorted then the tank and box can be refitted.

Also starting on the front wishbones, 2 new arms and balljoints ordered with polybushes for them.

Lastly gaz coilovers will be ordered on payday.

Busy Busy (y) Ill post some pics of the beam in bits it needs 4 arb mount bolts drilled out (snapped) and 2 endplate bolts removed (heads snapped off). Then a good scrub with the wire wheel and painted.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Fair bit of work going in, well done :grinning:

To avoid the corrosion in future, Duralac has worked great on the Lotus. Paint all mating steel/aluminium surfaces before re-assembly. Also avoid stainless bolts and use zinc plated instead, for the same reason. Things like suspension should not use stainless bolts anyway, too hard/brittle.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
yeah I have a can of duralac from the lotus days lol. Must see if I still have it. The bolts had literally corroded into the bolt holes. a 3" bolt through an alloy end piece and the head snaps off. FML. Then had to beat the alloy arm off with a lump hammer and a block of (now destroyed) wood as the bolt was welded in there. Torch on it the lot.

Alloy might be light but its a total pain in the hoop.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Well been slowly plugging o .

First job was to to drill out the 4 arb bolts that snapped off in the beam mounts. Broke 2 stud extractors so just drilled and retapped.

Then the two bolts that hold the beam endplate on. Two snapped at the head as the bolt shafts were seized into the alloy endplate. Used the grinder to make 2 flats and wrung it out with an adjustable spanner.

Next up we have the exhaust heat shield. 2 bolts snapped so drilled out then cleaned up the part. Its now painted in zinc primer.

Now that's done next job is to pull the 4 main bushes at the back. 2 in the trailing arms and 2 in the endplates. Home made puller wheeked them out nicely.

The trailing arm bushes had a nice surprise once removed there was a metal sleeve pressed in.

Grinder and hacksaw sorted those.

Cleaned up and new poly bush inserted.

The beam bushes seem to be incorrect though they aren't long enough. So likely need to be sent back and swapped for correct ones.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Also had some time this morning at the car so got a couple of jobs done.

First up fit the pioneer speakers I got. More to get the box out of the road lol.

Next up was the main event. Fuel tank removal. Not the handiest job I have to admit.

Disconnect the filler pipe and various breather pipes.

Was sure the strap mounting bolts were going to snap but held and got them undone.

And leaves a big hole.

Looking grotty. 99% superficial I reckon. Drill and wire brush be flat out.

And the man himself. Soon to be tested and restored if lucky.

Removed the fuel pump and filter so I can clean up the mounts. Looks worse than it is lol. Will also replace rubber hoses might as well.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Have to admire you for taking this on, I would have given up long ago - or called Jonny :innocent:

That is a lot of "cleaning up"! Going to be nice when done though.

Looking forward to seeing the finished result at Kirkistown next year :grinning:

micko

RMS Regular
Drives
B6 A4 / E30 320i
Fair play for getting stuck in, all that work will leave it right for next 30 years!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.