Whats your favourite sleeper?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Volvo 740 Turbo

gzehqbxxcwbfek.jpg

9fa8cc7567a9d0c76a0cda019cad0811.jpg

Lambos.jpg

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
Ive always enjoyed the 'speak quietly, but carry a large stick approach', currently in terrys former 3mps, now with added roofracks, previously owned a ph1 172 clio which was a pretty low key kind of car too. A good friend of mine has a legacy spec b saloon, you need to know cars to even realise its a subaru never mind the fact its a capable sports saloon.

Our family shares a straight diesel berlingo so id love the idea of a vts xzara in one,that would be great. Kind of an express van.

I once followed what looked like a base spec chevette up the a8m, It rapidly drove away from me, Turned out it had a 2l turbo to go with the light green paint and velure seats.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
For me it has to be some thing recognisable by everyone as a cheap slow car. I don't think an M5 or X6 etc are sleepers because most normal non car people wouldn't assume them to be slow.

2.0 Corsa would my favourite example of a sleeper.

Or any of the 2.0T leons. I raced one in the Jag out of a roundabout on the toome bypass, I got a fair surprise and it took a good bit of road to catch him

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
The wife's X6 M50d.. Have ordered the Hartge tuning program for it...

438hp and 620 torques...:p

You mean 620 pounds foot? Or foot pounds? Which ever you fancy, " torques" i hate that clarksonism.

An X6 M50d is about as far away from the topic as you can get this side of looking at an rs4 or ferrari f40.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
for me a sleeper is all about fwd.. maybe its because im a die hard FWD fan. but anyway this weapon by TDI north

IMAG1393.jpg

As much as that looks to be an awesome wee car, I wouldn't consider it overly sleeper like due to the holes drilled in the rear bumper and the intercooler/radiator sticking out. Saying that though it probably would still shock some!

Lee

RMS Regular
how can anyone think a sleeper only means a front wheel drive car?

To be fair he only said thats what it is about for him. Probably because there are more unsuspecting FWD cars out there than there are RWD.

st6phen

RMS Regular
Drives
anything MOT'd
amg2.jpg
never forget one of my mates doing some work for my brother, turned up in one of these
W210_E55_AMG.jpg

chucked the keys at my brother and said take it for a spin, we cracked on block paving the driveway then his phone rang, it was one of his mates asking if it was him beasting the merc up the high st LOL, that went on the bill, animal of a car.

my own estate version -great coming back from the garden centre, hammering on as hard as you can go with the wife, a bullmastiff (not the nickname for the wife, my actual dog 'claude'), and a load of potted plants on board

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
There are plenty of modern saloons that sit okay and have wide enough rims to need no added visual clues whatsoever that they have been made awesomely quick. They are anonymous, with no reason to suspect that they could be giant-killers but the problem: they don't look especially slow. You just wouldn't suspect that they are rapid but if they were, you'd not be totally amazed.

If it's a real sleeper not only must it visually belie its performance but I'd argue that it should look ruddy slow. Anything with a hint of purposeful stance, even if it's straight from the factory isn't going to look uber-slow.

Now take a Morris Minor or Mini or Ford 105E or original Fiat 500 or Trabant, make it go like soot of a shovel and stop just as efficiently but leave it with massive arch-gap and three-and-a-half to four-inch wide factory steels with hubcaps and no one will suspect a thing, ever.

The problem is who wants to drive a car that is all horsepower but with possibly epic body roll and no treadwidth to get it to the tarmac? :confounded:

Last edited:

EP82JM

RMS Regular
The problem is who wants to drive a car that is all horsepower but with possibly epic body roll and no treadwidth to get it to the tarmac? :confounded:

This is 100% my problem!and it's about to get a whoooooolee lot worse!! Problem being I can't even run wheels/tyres which are particularly wide :worried:

PhilM

RMS Regular
2736866-toyota-il-tempo-gigante-3.jpg

2735371-toyota-il-tempo-gigante-3.jpg

This for me.

Shifts far faster than anyone would suspect.

Infact it amuses me everytime i see the original granny spec interior.

Phil

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
@PhilM - I always wanted to make my old starlet a sleeper. I think if I was ever lucky enough to have some spare cash to do a sleeper build, I would definitely buy another starlet. Mine had the granny spec interior but I swapped it for glanza interior. Was a really nice wee car & I always knew these wee things are capable of so much more.

What is in that red one?

PhilM

RMS Regular
@PhilM - I always wanted to make my old starlet a sleeper. I think if I was ever lucky enough to have some spare cash to do a sleeper build, I would definitely buy another starlet. Mine had the granny spec interior but I swapped it for glanza interior. Was a really nice wee car & I always knew these wee things are capable of so much more.

What is in that red one?

That has a 5efhte Putting out 400+ hp, with only a little map on it.

480 per ton :grinning: and that was at 1.6bar its now at 2bar+ but not dyno'd

Phil

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.