1988 Porsche 924S - project break it for cash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
You could replace the heat shield with this stuff

http://www.nimbusmotorsport.com/ProdShop2.asp?id=753&CATID=252

Not necessary to pay that price you can get an effective cheaper copy on eBay.

just stick that to the bottom of the fuel tank mark? would certainly save some hassle, although does have a significant cost vs a can of bbq paint.

Would this stuff not be effective enough for the job

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281459327115&alt=web

Can be got in silver too

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
just stick that to the bottom of the fuel tank mark? would certainly save some hassle, although does have a significant cost vs a can of bbq paint.

That Nimbus stuff is all over the Lotus now.

A lot better heat insulation properties than a can of bbq paint too :p

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Also a side project is to refresh the rear fuel lines and pump etc. Currently looking sorry for itself.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
thinking of something like this to hold the pump and filter.

$(KGrHqR,!p!FEEL5rEjDBRB-Ctfvr!~~60_12.JPG

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Definitely do. Torques on eBay are reasonable priced for fuel line parts. Very easy to make up as well with the stainless braided hose

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Yeah as mark says, Torques on ebay have everything you'd need for it and next day delivery. Used them for my oil lines/fittings and are good quality(y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
not much happening atm - will be dropping the tank to ballyclare radiators for a pressure test. If it comes back ok Ill do the whole POR-15 tank sealer affair. Looks DIYable and should be significantly cheaper than having it done. Although a call to Brownlowe will be on the cards to get a guesstimate quote.

Other than that I got my new front wishbones and poly bushes. They dont look too well protected so giving them a thick coat of primer (pic shows first coat) and will spray them with silver wheel paint or something. Long way off fitting these as Im concentrating on the rear but its a handy do at home job so might as well have them sitting ready for when I tackle the front.

The beam is also ready to be reassembled. Tapping out the threaded holes and reworking the threads on all the bolts currently. Bit mind numbing but at least I wont be struggling with rusty bolts. Have ordered new nuts as some of the old ones are in bad shape. Should have some pics over the next few days.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I have that POR15 tank sealer in stock if you can't get sorted up there Paul.

When are you hoping to have the car back on the road?

You still got those horrible Boxster wheels on?! :p

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
POR-15 is a great job, incredibly strong and durable. Only problem is it is so strong, it is literally impossible to remove if you get a drop on the floor, or your hands, or whatever, lol - walked around for weeks with black fingers after the first time I used it :p

I would paint the wishbones with POR-15, anything else will be blasted off by road spray surely? Even powder coating comes off when driving on NI roads...

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
One for the pump and one for the filter if poss. the filter might be too big though think its 75mm diameter. and 50ish for the pump.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
well good news on the tank, what I thought was bits of metal skin crusting off was just the old outer coating. Looks good inside too so its getting steam cleaned and pressure tested at ballyclare radiators. Then Ill likely just refurb the outer skin and call it quits at that. New hoses, pump and filter should see fuelling spot on.

Tonight also saw the beam back together. I dropped the torsion bars one nick which is supposedly 2.5" drop. You can then get +-1" on the height adjusters on the trailing arms so hopefully see it sitting nicely. Even if I have to drop the beam to go one more nick its not a big deal you can drop each side, readjust and raise back up.

Torsion bar inserted. Unlike a peugeot etc the torsion bars meet in the middle and are half the length of the beam.

Trailing arm stub (called the spring plates for some reason) lubed and ready for insertion:

and in place ready for the end piece to go on. forgot to take a pic will grab one tomorrow.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.